SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-09-14, 04:48 PM   #1
NakedHound

Default Which second bike? Advice needed.

Ok so I may be in the market for a different bike. I have between 2 and 3k to play with.

I specifically need something that is more comfortable when riding 2 up / touring. But I still want the grin factor when riding solo. Certainly dont want anything which accelerates slower than my current SV naked k1.

Been looking hard at VFR 800's but have concerns that despite good reviews many people who owned them call them boring, and over complicated when it comes to service costs.

Due to a bad back, I value comfort over top end performance. Running costs are also a consideration (cos I am really tight!)

Any suggestions guys?
Old 04-09-14, 05:29 PM   #2
Nutsinatin

Default Re: Second Bike Advice needed!!!!

Triumph Sprint 1050, comfortable, fast enough, can tour two up and pretty cheap second hand. Don't know about service cost though.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 05:30 PM   #3
SvNewbie

You could get a VFR800 and ignore the 'big' valve service. Plenty of people have done it, so long as the bike keeps working correctly then it isn't going to hurt much. For a bike worth 2-3k it's simply not worth the cost IMHO.
Old 04-09-14, 05:38 PM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Suzuki Rf 900, Yamaha Thunder Ace. Kawasaki ZZR 1100
Old 06-09-14, 09:28 AM   #5
NakedHound

Default Re: Which second bike? Advice needed.

Been to see a vfr800 vtec(2002) selling private. Its got 35k on the clock, very clean and tidy body, and loads of aftermarket extras including color coded panniers.
Fella wants 2k for it, and seems like a genuine sale. Bike sounds great starting from cold.

Lots of reviews on web saying 2001-2005 models have issues when vtec suddenly kicks in. Has anyone owned one of these models?
Old 07-09-14, 12:07 AM   #6
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedHound View Post
Ok so I may be in the market for a different bike. I have between 2 and 3k to play with.

I specifically need something that is more comfortable when riding 2 up / touring. But I still want the grin factor when riding solo. Certainly dont want anything which accelerates slower than my current SV naked k1.

Been looking hard at VFR 800's but have concerns that despite good reviews many people who owned them call them boring, and over complicated when it comes to service costs.

Due to a bad back, I value comfort over top end performance. Running costs are also a consideration (cos I am really tight!)

Any suggestions guys?
Never understood people calling VFR's boring - it seems to be one of those daft bandwagon, armchair pundit things to say.

I have a VFR750 (1990 FL) and it's an amazing ride, goes round corners like it's on rails and will tour two up forever and ever in complete comfort. The 94-97 bikes are regarded as the best of the VFR bunch and can be picked up with around 12k on the clock for under £2000. Honda's top of the line, will be hard pressed to match it for the money.

You'll have people tell you that the 800's are a better bet, even with high miles as they're arguably as strong (although not boasting gear driven cams like the 750) but then you buy a bike for £2k with 50k on the clock and the engine's the least of the worries - the wear and tear items will cost you.

As for repairs being difficult, I can strip the bike down to a bare engine in around half an hour and put it back together in the same time, super intuitive design and everything bar the front sparks are a doddle to get at. Carbs are also easy to remove and put back on when you angle the carb boot rubbers, cleaning them's a doddle as well.

The VTEC on the 800s can be a bit sudden bit you learn to ride around it.

Last edited by 650; 07-09-14 at 12:08 AM.
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 09:46 PM   #7
Heorot

I had a test ride on the new VFR800 in May. I didn't like it at all. At 30mph in town the ride was awful; jiggly and bouncy. On the bypass there was loads of power but never got out of 4th and was over the speed limit (90). It was boring. I didn't have the confidence to try too hard on the twisty bits as this was my first ride on a bike with a sports riding position. At the end of the ride, I couldn't give it back to the dealer fast enough.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 02:26 PM   #8
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
I had a test ride on the new VFR800 in May. I didn't like it at all. At 30mph in town the ride was awful; jiggly and bouncy. On the bypass there was loads of power but never got out of 4th and was over the speed limit (90). It was boring. I didn't have the confidence to try too hard on the twisty bits as this was my first ride on a bike with a sports riding position. At the end of the ride, I couldn't give it back to the dealer fast enough.
I had always loved the the look and sound of the VFR and desperately wanted one, so once I was on a full license and knew that I was going to be able to pay for it, I went to the local Honda showroom at Fowlers in Bristol.

The first thing I noticed was that the seat was about an inch thick and felt like a plank, with an extra layer of concrete for comfort removal. The thing sat so low to the ground it almost required me chopping off my toes to avoid hitting the floor, but this would also have helped with the gear and brake pedal which had big metal plates bolted to them. The riding position was dreadful, it was so cramped that I had neck ache just from sitting on it and never even got it out of the showroom.

My Next question to the Salesman though was answered with either a complete lie or Honda have made a truly terrible bike. "Has this been lowered for a shortarse?" I asked.

"NO", he stated. "That is all standard!"

I got off the bike, picked up my lid and walked out of the door, horribly disappointed. I still think that the early VFRs are one of, if not the prettiest Japanese bikes of the 90s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 03:21 PM   #9
NTECUK
Mega Poster

The 80's VFR'S we the bizz in the day
Old 09-09-14, 02:07 PM   #10
Heorot

Jayne, spot on. You explained it far better than me.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote