SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-03-10, 09:28 PM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Questions, questions - light bulbs and oil leaks.

Just got back home about an hour ago after riding back up from south Wales with the 2000 faired curvy I've bought.
A few things need doing to it to tidy it up and I have a few questions about some of them.
1. One of the things to be sorted are the lights in the speedo which don't work. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get at the bulbs in there to change them?
2. Should there be a spacer or a bracket between the standard silencer and the hanger?
3. There is a slight weep from the rear portion of the mating face of the clutch cover. I'm assuming that the gasket is shot. Is there anything I need to look out for when changing it?
4. I'm not hugely impressed by the lights on the bike. What are other peoples' views on the headlights on this model?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along with the process of sorting the details on the bike!
Cheers.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-10, 09:36 PM   #2
kellyjo

Default Re: Questions, questions

Hiya!! I had to change my speedo lights and it was fine, just a bit of a faff cos i had to remove the fairings to gain access. As with everything it was 2 minutes to do the job and 2 hours getting the plastics on and off!!
I replaced my headlights with Osram Nightbreakers, as advised by others on here, and they're good. Do a search, there are a few threads about bulbs.
Old 24-03-10, 09:55 PM   #3
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
2. Should there be a spacer or a bracket between the standard silencer and the hanger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
?
3. There is a slight weep from the rear portion of the mating face of the clutch cover. I'm assuming that the gasket is shot. Is there anything I need to look out for when changing it?
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...tch+cover+leak
Old 24-03-10, 10:01 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Wont comment on the other stuff, but in my experience the curvey headlights are not the best. I used to find on dark wet winter nights it was handy to find a car going about my speed and sit a distance behind it and use its headlights to see where I was going.

Alot of people fit uprated bulbs so thats probably your first port of call. Have a search there should be plenty of threads on the subject.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-10, 10:12 PM   #5
Ceebl

my curvy has a weird headlight setup ( one bulb dipped, one full) and the beam sweeps the wrong way because its obviously been imported from somewhere!! its erm... appalling to use on dark nights, unless u like blinding oncoming motorists and looking at the tops of hedges on the other side of the road be thankful if yours are any better than this haha
Old 24-03-10, 10:41 PM   #6
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Thanks all, very helpful.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-10, 11:36 PM   #7
Ceebl

I got 150% brighter headlight bulbs for mine (even with its c**p headlight positions) i think theyr made by phillips and they hav made a pretty good improvement for less than 20 quid for both bulbs!!
Old 25-03-10, 12:55 PM   #8
ridelikeaturtle

Default Re: Questions, questions - light bulbs and oil leaks.

I replaced the headlights w/Phillips X-Treme Powers, and I think they're brighter, it was well worth the £25 for the pair.

And for the weeping clutch cover, it's an o-ring, see here:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...t=clutch+cover

and here (my post on a different forum):

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread...0+clutch+cover

I used blue loctite on the bolts, bc after a couple test spins I checked them w/my torque wrench and a few of them were loose. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! Use a torque wrench, 10 Nm !!!