SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-09-10, 12:11 AM   #1
McK

Default Dilemma - what bike to keep?

Stuck in an unusual position of having too many bikes. I got back into biking again and thought Id be sensible and get an SV and got this lovely example (linky). Then I got a friend into biking and they're rather impetuous so they bought this before even passing their test.

They've since decided that they're more a pillion than a rider and have just given me the bike to do with what I will. Problem being I love both bikes but can only realistically keep one.... But oh, which one?!

The SV - looks lovely, sounds gorgeous and is totally fine for getting around London and zipping into the country. Downside, poor suspension and meh handling. Engines great but nothing else really inspires.

The Aero - named after chocolate, leaves me with a very silly grin on my face. Encourages abuse but is also sedate when needed. Very soft suspension but awesome around town, tiny turning circle, people run out of the road 200m in front of me, so so planted on the road and so easy to flick. Poor starter in cold. Scuffed me new boots on a toedown the second day of taking it out (and I wasn't trying).

Thoughts? Opinions? Or offer me a silly amount of money to take one of my hands and reduce my confusion!
Old 21-09-10, 12:22 AM   #2
Gabriel2k

Default Re: Dilemma - what bike to keep?

Keep the SV, spend the money fom the Aero on upgrading the bits you dont like such as the suspension.
Old 21-09-10, 05:53 AM   #3
Weirdfish

Baby Blades are great but too focused, I often think of my SV as a modern equivalent to the small sports bikes of the late 80s and early 90s, i.e. fast as them and light. But so much more versatile, stick with th SV.
Old 21-09-10, 06:26 AM   #4
McK

@Gabrial - thats an intriguing thought.

@Weird - its not the RR 400 so is more relaxed. The CBR is also far lighter and probably a bit quicker than the SV as well. For around town, I'd actually say the CBR is more versatile than the SV. The only area where the SV seems better is starting in the cold!
Old 21-09-10, 07:42 AM   #5
davepreston

do you ever do long runs and could you honestly live on the areo doing big miles?
Old 21-09-10, 02:22 PM   #6
benji106

My brother has an CBR400RR, he loves it, I love riding it, maybe more than my SV but I know which one I would rather live with. The aero may be less focussed but day to day riding I think you would miss the versatility of the SV.
Old 21-09-10, 03:24 PM   #7
Daimo

Keep the one you finding yourself smilling on more, and is better for your needs. I.E if you commute, keep the SV.

But realistically, keep one, and swap bikes when your in a better financial position. better off upgrading to a better bike than upgrading the older ones.
Old 21-09-10, 07:39 PM   #8
McK

Just put the cover on the Aero and will be back on the SV for a couple days for a comparision. Just turning them round you can feel the massive difference in them. The SV feels all heavy and cumbersome. Its also a little upset with me as it rudely scrapped up my leg with the footstand!

Will report back - currently still amazed that a bike from 24 years ago is a) in such good nick and b) so fantastically fun to ride!
Old 21-09-10, 07:57 PM   #9
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Get another plate made for 1 of them & put it on t'other.
That'll save enough to run both.
Just don't get caught!
Old 22-09-10, 02:08 AM   #10
rictus01
Mega Poster

point of correction to OP, no such thing as to many bikes........

that is all.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote