SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-07-16, 12:54 PM   #1
prisspringle

Default fuel pump electic problems

hi guys,

Yesterday morning i went to start my k3 650 to go to work i couldn't get it too start, it would spin over but not sound like it would fire, tryed turning the kill switch on and off a few times but still nothing, i then noticed that the fuel pump wasnt priming. i wheeled the bike be inside and left it.

this morning i went to try the bike again and it started, i had planned to go out on the bike if it was working so i turned it off again and went to get my gear on, came back out and it started again, i stopped at a petrol station about 5 miles later filled up and yet again it refused to start.

as luck would have it a AA van pulled in to fuel up and i asked him if he could help, i'm an AA member but on my car only. we discovered that the kill switch works fine there is power at the fuse, there is power at the white connector but not enough to power the pump, we ended up jumping power direct from the battery to the pump and it worked.

now would there be any connector or area of wiring that likely to be a problem.

the bike before hand has been fine never let me down or had any problems, the only change is the bike has been kept out side and not on a trickle charger.

any ideas would be great

many thanks

chris
prisspringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 01:03 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: fuel pump electic problems

are you referring to the buzz buzz sound that you her when you switch the bike on?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-16, 01:16 PM   #3
prisspringle

yes, the one that starts then stops after a few seconds, before starting, not the secondary butterflys

just to be clear i had the tank up when the aa man started, before we jumped the pump you could feel the pump wasnt working, as soon as we jumped it you could hear and feel it spinning
Old 23-07-16, 01:21 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

its just that you cant hear the pump priming unless you stick your ear on the tank. the buzz buzz is the STV going through its start sequence.

if you dont hear the buzz buzz the its the STV not getting power.
Old 23-07-16, 05:20 PM   #5
prisspringle

i was listening for the pump as you say with my ear next to the tank to hear the pump.

the bike has a meta alarm,dealer fitted, will that cut ignition or fuel?
Old 23-07-16, 05:27 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisspringle View Post
i was listening for the pump as you say with my ear next to the tank to hear the pump.

the bike has a meta alarm,dealer fitted, will that cut ignition or fuel?
yes that will totally render your bike useless. most problems are regarding the battery getting low on the keyfob which sometimes messes up the alarm module. did you get the alarm manual with the bike?
Old 23-07-16, 10:05 PM   #7
theenglishman

If it starts ok once the fuel pump has power then it's not the battery. If the battery can turn an engine it can turn a fuel pump

There's a couple of switches the FP circuit goes through. My thoughts are check the side stand switch - it's right in the line of dirt. This is what I think the problem is.

Otherwise take the FP out and clean it - there's tons of YouTube videos on how to do this.

Otherwise replace the pump - a new one is ~£20 but requires a bit of fiddling. Or it's a complete assembly, which is a lot more. But I don't think it's the pump if applying 12v direct fixes the issue.

[EDIT] read further and you have an alarm. They're a waste of space and invariably badly fitted. Personally I'd remove it. And then fix all the bodges the installation of it caused.

Last edited by theenglishman; 23-07-16 at 10:08 PM.
theenglishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-16, 07:02 AM   #8
prisspringle

Will the alarm kill the power to the fuel pump tho, where I live the alarm is a good 1st line defence against stupid sticky fingered types otherwise it would be gone.

I see an afternoon with the multimeter.

Cheers chris
Old 14-05-17, 07:46 PM   #9
prisspringle

right, i've finally had a look around the bike today and checked a few things.

the fuel pump doesn't prime at all when trying to start unless i jump it from the battery, checked the connections behind the headstock, what a PITA they are to get to, the only one that looked corroded was the black connector on the throttle side not sure which that one is?

otherwise i think the problem is the alarm,it turns on and off with the fob even after having no battery fitted for the past few months, is there a how to on removing the alarm?

thanks again

chris
Old 14-05-17, 10:55 PM   #10
embee
Mega Poster

Not sure exactly how the SV does things, but I had a kind of similar issue with my NC700. Turned out it was the connector between the main harness and the wiring which goes to the kill switch. This connector has the supply to the kill switch and 2 wires back, one of which goes to a fuel pump cutout relay. The connector had tarnished pins which essentially made the bike think the kill switch was off so wouldn't prime the pump or operate the starter. Could be a similar arrangement though to be honest the alarm has to be a prime candidate, those things are a PITA usually.