SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-04-15, 05:55 PM   #1
TheJakeMan

Default Is my sound bike now scrap?

So this morning i dropped off my (perfect running) k6 650 at a Suzuki dealer for its 14k service. With it involving a valve check i was already expecting a pretty hefty bill and was pondering over whether to get it done as I'm looking to trade the bike in for something more upright.
A few hours later i got the call i was dreading; "have you had any problems with it running weird?" the mechanic asked in a curious tone, "no it's never had a problem except for a puncture or 2"...
A couple of calls later and much talk of cold starter solenoids and how they can't be bought without coming complete with throttle bodies (£700+) it seems the bike i was quoted £1400 on trade-in now needs £700 worth of parts plus labour to fit and after the £300+ service it all looks like the bike that rode like a dream this morning is now worth absolutely nothing!

Having fired it up and been treated to my once perfect runner idling at over 3000rpm with seemingly a good 10mm more free-play in the throttle i rode it away in disgust/embarrassment before causing a scene.

My current options as i see it are:
1. spend a huge amount of money and try to convince myself (and my wrecked neck) i may as well just keep the bike.
2. sell it for peanuts to someone with the mechanical abilities to repair it or strip it down and sell it in parts.

(p.s. other than ruining a lovely bike the service went fine )
Old 17-04-15, 06:01 PM   #2
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Is my sound bike now scrap?

EBay and used ones
The bodies don't go wrong very often

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-15, 06:27 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

i smell bull plop.

now let me get this right. the bike was running fine when you took it in, the mechanic has done some work and checked the valves and now its running like a pile of poo.

my guess is that the mechanic has disturbed something or broken it and is not wanting to own up for fear of being docked on his wages.

to me it sounds like the tickover adjuster has been trapped or dislodged and is causing the butterfly cam to stick.

such a pity you dont stay up this way...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-15, 07:43 PM   #4
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

You need a second opinion from a trusted garage by the sound of it and then maybe a chat with the manager at the first place over a naughty mechanic.

Having worked in a push bike shop I have heard many times the line "it was fine when I brought it in!", however sometimes knackered bits that are seized into place can break. This is why a second opinion can help, a better mechanic can point out easy and cheaper fixes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-15, 09:19 PM   #5
wideguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
You need a second opinion from a trusted garage by the sound of it and then maybe a chat with the manager at the first place over a naughty mechanic.

Having worked in a push bike shop I have heard many times the line "it was fine when I brought it in!", however sometimes knackered bits that are seized into place can break. This is why a second opinion can help, a better mechanic can point out easy and cheaper fixes.
I became a mechanic because I got cheated too many times by various shops. I never had a bit of luck recovering any damages from them, even though all I wanted was what it cost to fix their mistakes.
As Jayne said, get another opinion. Ask around among people who ride, they will tell you about mechanics or shops. There are a few around me that do good work and charge honest prices. Find some around you.

If they mistimed your cams when they installed them, they may have bent your valves. Even if they didn't, mistimed cams will make the bike run like s..t. If you find one of these problems, it would be worth a complaint to the Magistrate.

Last edited by wideguy; 18-04-15 at 09:23 PM.
Old 18-04-15, 09:26 PM   #6
DJ123
Mega Poster

did they say what they have done to your bike? How did you pay them?
If it rode in fine, and come out running crap I'd have left it there and told them to sort it at their cost. it's quite clear they have broken something and are trying to shrug it off with you paying the bill.
Speak to the service manager and see what they say. If the answer is no good, start the complaints procedure and escalate it to the next level.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-15, 09:53 PM   #7
nutzboutbikes

This sort of thing really gets my goat!, the mechanic should receive a swift hard kick to the plumbs for his incompetence.
Old 18-04-15, 10:58 PM   #8
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Take it back. And get them to fix what ever the mistake they made foc.
Sounds like you have a cause to complain to the dealers owners and if you get little joy to suzuki Head office.
Old 19-04-15, 09:36 AM   #9
Kenzie

I would have left it with them and made damn sure they put it right. If they get funny, a quick call to Trading Standards will soon put them right.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-15, 10:47 AM   #10
figaro

Ring them up, explain to them that you brought a perfect running bike to them and now it's fuc'd since their mechanic touched it. Tell them you want it put back to how it was at their expense. If they say no, tell them you'll be taking them to court. Let them know that you'll also be billing them for your travelling expenses too, seeing as the bike is your only transport.

If you can afford it, take it to another mechanic and explain what's happened, then get them to give you a written quote for the repairs needed to rectify the other guy's mistakes.

And do please chase the garage for the cost of the repair. They get let off far too easily, far too often. My mate got stung nearly a grand for new throttle bodies at a Triumph dealership in Northants. I'd already told him to try a new O2 sensor first but he stuck it in the garage. The bike came out just as bad but with him out of pocket to boot, I put a new O2 sensor in and it runs perfectly. He never chased the garage for that grand.