SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-05-17, 07:03 PM   #1
shiftin_gear98

Default What compressor do you own?

After swearing a lot at my new front tyre. The bugger really doesn't want to seat. I have even tried two petrol stations. Both hopeless. So before I set fire to my bike in a fit of rage. Can someone recommend a good cheap one. Yeah I know good and cheap don't go. But I don't have hundreds to spend. Off to wipe the blood off my hand after punching the garage door. And breathe....

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 05-05-17 at 07:05 PM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-17, 06:14 AM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: What compressor do you own?

Do you have a fast-fit place near by? Most will be happy for a fiver in the back pocket for a blast on their airline. Much cheaper than buying something that will gather dust cluttering up your garage.
Old 06-05-17, 06:58 AM   #3
Northern Biker

Have you tried pressing the flat tyre button on the machines at petrol stations? It gives a big constant blast of air to inflate totally flat tyres.
Failing that, as Sir Trev suggests, any garage or tyre place would probably do it for a few beer tokens at most.
Old 06-05-17, 09:06 AM   #4
shiftin_gear98

Just been out in the light of day, now that the red mist of rage has gone. Tried the petrol station one last time for my piece of mind that I was using it correctly. It was still useless. So I went to find help, Halfords Autocenter, even more unhelpful and useless. Could you? No.
So was about to set off for home, red mist looming. When I noticed an independent garage I have ridden past loads of times and never spotted.
Sure no problem, 30 seconds later job done. He didn't even want to take any money. He did when I insisted. I took a business card. Next time the car needs a service I know where it's going. Just need to balance them and get them back on.

Still interested in what make of compressor you guys own, going on the birthday list.
Old 06-05-17, 11:19 AM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

did you take the valve core out? sometimes it can help.

did you use tyre soap?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-17, 07:17 PM   #6
shiftin_gear98

Tyre soap, yeah almost half the pot trying to get it to slip on.
Old 07-05-17, 06:06 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

I've got 2.
One is a cheap and cheerful old Machine Mart 4/25 I inherited from a friend. A little slow to charge and not up to supplying continuous heavy demand tools but as an everyday home workshop job it works well. Quite quiet.

I also got myself a small portable Impax item from Screwfix with a 12 lt tank, not sure they still do this particular one. It can be carried reasonably easily so useful for taking to the garage/driveway etc. Very noisy but does the job.
I use the euro style fittings which have a bigger bore than the typical PCL Vertex style fittings, and even the little one with a 12 Lt tank will seat tyres with no issue at all.