SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-04-17, 07:59 AM   #31
aesmith

Default Re: Electrical help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
It's right behind the cowling. It connects the headlamps and all the other lamps in the cowling to the loom.
I think I can just see it, would it be sort of between and above the headlights, just below the screen? What did you need to remove to get access, I don't see that it can be reached at all on mine.

Cheers, Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-17, 07:27 PM   #32
Red ones
Mega Poster

I have another intermittent fault.
When I turn the key sometimes there is no sound and an FI fault.
I've put the diagnostic tool in just in case I can get a code next time it happens, but sods law says it hasn't done it since.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-17, 08:14 PM   #33
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Your bike is more modern and complex than mine but I can tell you that on the CX500 I made from spares not long after the build I had a similar problem.I quickly tracked it down to the Multi-pin connector that pushes into the Ignition block.Several of the spade connectors were corroded and their female counterparts in the wired plug.

I don't know if your SV uses a similar plug-in connector.

Careful sanding of the pins with a very small screwdriver with some 500 sandpaper wrapped around it got off most of the corrosion and then plenty of Switch cleaner and then ACF50 which cured that fault.

HTH

Just remembered.A different similar fault happened caused by bad fuse contacts.I took them all out one-by-one and again Switch cleaner and ACF50 and worked them in and out of of their holders to clear the connections.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 05-05-17 at 08:22 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-17, 01:02 AM   #34
Red ones
Mega Poster

Well. The C42 fault is getting worse so I'm going to have to do something soon before I get stranded by it.
I've looked for the connectors for the ignition switch but can't find any. They are well hidden!
Also I have one indicator (front offside) which also isn't working due to a contact/cable issue.

I'm suspecting a couple of corroded connectors somewhere.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-17, 08:57 AM   #35
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Well. The C42 fault is getting worse so I'm going to have to do something soon before I get stranded by it.
I've looked for the connectors for the ignition switch but can't find any. They are well hidden!
Also I have one indicator (front offside) which also isn't working due to a contact/cable issue.

I'm suspecting a couple of corroded connectors somewhere.

This thread has info about the C42 fault,

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142822
Old 21-05-17, 11:38 AM   #36
Stilo

[QUOTE=Red ones;3069658]

If its a pointy the ignition switch connector is 1 of 3 on a bracket that is located just behind the headstock below a frame brace.
You can get at it by lifting the tank and? taking off the air box. Or you might be able to get at it by removing the plastic shroud that is above & behind the radiator. I hope that you have thin fingers!
Old 21-05-17, 01:58 PM   #37
Bibio
Mega Poster

C42.

for a start the information on svrider is wrong, there is no anti theft resistor inside the sv ignition. i have had an sv ignition switch apart and never seen one. the information relates to the gsxr.

what does happen is that the ignition rotary switch contacts get crudded up or worn out, the ignition barrel gets worn out but you would recognise that as having to fiddle with the key to turn the ignition. the dreaded green connector get burnt out. a short (chaffed wire) elsewhere.

check your ignition fuse in your fuse box in the tail of the bike as they get work hardened, for the price of one just replace it to make sure.

turn your ignition on and wiggle/push/pull the looms on either side of the headstock where they enter the frame. if the bike cuts out then you have a short.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-17, 02:38 PM   #38
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
C42.

for a start the information on svrider is wrong, there is no anti theft resistor inside the sv ignition. i have had an sv ignition switch apart and never seen one. the information relates to the gsxr.

what does happen is that the ignition rotary switch contacts get crudded up or worn out, the ignition barrel gets worn out but you would recognise that as having to fiddle with the key to turn the ignition. the dreaded green connector get burnt out. a short (chaffed wire) elsewhere.

check your ignition fuse in your fuse box in the tail of the bike as they get work hardened, for the price of one just replace it to make sure.

turn your ignition on and wiggle/push/pull the looms on either side of the headstock where they enter the frame. if the bike cuts out then you have a short.

Good to know Bibio