SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-10-19, 11:43 AM   #11
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Random Main dealer estimate!

The only caveat I'd offer is that carb balance is really the last step in the chain. All other things need to be correct first, for example valve clearances.
Before doing anything else, check that the choke plungers are free and not corroded, the cables are in good condition, and the chokes are shutting off completely when the lever is closed.
I'd suggest at least drain the float bowls to ensure there is no residual water sitting in the bottom (there very often is a droplet of water in there). There are drain screws fitted to do this, no need to dismantle.
Balancing the carbs by pressure gets the airflow essentially the same (all other things being correct), you'll then need to adjust the idle mixture screws to get the mixtures correct.
Old 26-10-19, 08:10 PM   #12
punyXpress
Mega Poster

How about Steve Jordan at Bookham near Dorking. ?
Probably not cheap, but used to do a bit with Supertwins and a bit far away - nowt better than a ready-warmed engine at this time of year!
Old 04-11-19, 05:45 PM   #13
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
How about Steve Jordan at Bookham near Dorking. ?
Probably not cheap, but used to do a bit with Supertwins and a bit far away - nowt better than a ready-warmed engine at this time of year!
Yeah, a bit of a trek really. I think I've found a local firm very near me through a couple of recommendations, got it booked in for a session with vacuum gauges so hoping it's going to be a straight forward balance. Will post my findings when it's sorted.
Cheers all for your input and suggestions.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote