SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-11-19, 08:00 AM   #1
noogie

Default Hand guards for Gladius

There are so many posts about hand guards, so apologies if this is a repeat (I don’t think it is!).

Has anybody fitted handguards to a gladius? I can see that dl650 guards fit older sv650s but it’s not clear whether this will be he same. Mine also has renthal handlebar. Any suggestions welcome as I cannot work out what to go for to keep my fingers dropping off with the cold!

Cheers
noogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-19, 08:32 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hand guards for Gladius

Quote:
Originally Posted by noogie View Post
Mine also has renthal handlebar

This kind of throws a spanner in the works since the Gladius isn't that common to begin with and you now have one with non-standard bars.

Don't know whether this will help - I have the-one-after-the-Gladius, the AL7, and I fitted DL650 handguards bear in mind there are 2 different versions (nope, can't remember which if that's the next question - I think I went with the later model years).

Did they fit? They fitted the clutch side perfectly but the throttle side needed a bit of grinding and a couple of extra washers to clear the cable run. They use the bar end weights and the lever pivot points for securing so if your renthals have a different angle they may not fit, although I would imagine that all bars are straight from the levers to the ends (or the throttle tube wouldn't spin).

Do they work? Not as well as I'd hoped -I've always suffered from cold fingers and this helped but my fingers were still cold after 40 mins at 5°C.

On to "Plan B" - I bought the previous generation of these:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/411178

These gloves with integral battery have 3 heat settings - I usually run them on the lowest and that allows for 6 x 40 minute trips before a recharge and my fingers are blissfully warm. Maybe if I didn't have the guards I'd need to run the gloves on a higher setting and they wouldn't last as long...

...If I was a commuter instead of a fun rider (fun riding in the winter in the UK ?) I would be looking at electrically heated gloves that connect to the bike. I'm not a fan of electrically heated grips because my palms are not usually the problem, it's the upper part of my hands and fingers which suffer.
Old 16-11-19, 10:20 AM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hand guards for Gladius

Quote:
Originally Posted by noogie View Post
There are so many posts about hand guards, so apologies if this is a repeat (I don’t think it is!).

Has anybody fitted handguards to a gladius? I can see that dl650 guards fit older sv650s but it’s not clear whether this will be he same. Mine also has renthal handlebar. Any suggestions welcome as I cannot work out what to go for to keep my fingers dropping off with the cold!

Cheers
The cheap universal ones I use might work with a little tweaking.Cheap enough to try IMHO.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike...UAAOSwDtFdstur

You do need bar-ends weights in to make them fit.