SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-11-19, 07:59 PM   #1
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Let the train take the strain?

This could have gone in the Gripe thread but it seemed so odd I thought I'd see what everyone else thought.

Had to go to Nottingham for a meeting today. Three hours in the car or four and bit in the train. Decided on the train and I was able to get started on the actions I ended up with from the meeting while on the way home. But, taking the train was not exactly restful...

One the way up I was first on a "commuter" train full of people working or being polite, as in not annoying anyone as they do it every day and that's what you do. My connecting train however was that bit later and it was hell. The baby screaming just behind me. The selfish youngsters all around me listening to music or watching programmes on their devices without headphones. I could not hear myself think!

The way back was almost as bad. First train was rammed and almost as noisy. No baby this time but a whiny toddler relentlessly demanding answers to everything in an "outdoor" voice. Lots more devices all blaring out their games or game shows it seems. And a HUGE geezer who sat opposite me at a table seat with those wireless ear bud things everyone seems to have these days. Goodness only knows how loud he had the levels but I could hear every beat and swear word of his hip-hop music all the way back to New Street. And to top it all off my last train was in very old rolling stock with a broken heater - thanks Chiltern!

So I ask you. Does everyone find it as noisy as that on their train journeys these days or was I unlucky? Are those wireless earbuds really that bad at keeping the noise in or was the big guy on a fast track to permanent hearing loss? Are people really that selfish they don't care how much they annoy the folk around them??

I'll probably take the car next time.
Old 18-11-19, 08:06 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Let the train take the strain?

I’m using the trains a lot more these days, but they are largely rural Welsh lines so no comparison with yours Trev. On the occasional trip over the border thoughI do notice the difference with much more crowded trains and on the whole, a lot less consideration shown by people for their fellow travellers.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 08:20 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

A few years ago we decided to try the train to NEC in Birmingham ( about an hour by car ) - well it didn't start well and got worse. The train from was about 40 mins late to get us to Birmingham new street, so it terminated at Wolverhampton and went back so we had to change trains at Wolverhampton - we got to new street and engineering works between new street and Birmingham international, so they put us in a shuttle bus to NEC. So far we had taken almost 3 hours to do a one hour car journey.. Getting back almost as bad, shuttle bus to new street, had to stand in the compartment between carriages a the way back to Wolverhampton - change trains and then squashed into non-adjacent seats back to Telford. That put me off trains ever since.. I have fond memories British Rail cheap away day trips to places in the UK in 1970s and 80's superb value and a seat all the way....seems like train travel now is 'let the train cause the strain'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 08:44 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

You must be insane to get on public transport for 4 hours without headphones.

Wireless headphones aren't any louder to other people than normal headphones. And they are bloody handy things to have! I love mine.

When I was commuting to Edinburgh I would have them in and watch something on my phone. Made the journey go really quick and I didn't even notice the people around me
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 09:41 PM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I don't think I've ever heard any real sound from ear buds! I take the odd train to London, they're generally fine, sounds like you had a bad day. Cheap, though, they're not.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 10:32 PM   #6
pookie

invest in some noise cancelling headphones. I use mine without the music on at work sometimes
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-19, 01:48 PM   #7
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
invest in some noise cancelling headphones. I use mine without the music on at work sometimes

I used to sit in the main sales office (I'm engineering) with my bright orange/blue string ear plugs in when I didn't want to listen about whatever was on TV last night.

They took the hint and I got my own office so just talk to myself most days.

Take your bike earplugs next time Trev
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-19, 08:17 PM   #8
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I polled the guys at work. It seems some of them have tried the cheaper wireless earbuds and they're rubbish, apparently, and leak noise terribly. Thankfully I had some regular buds with me, that keep the music in my own ear, and put a soothing playlist on to take my mind off the oafs around me so I could do some work.
Old 20-11-19, 02:20 PM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Years ago when I worked in a design office it was the habit of a a lot of the younger ones to wear earphones at work, and sit ( lie ) as horizontal in their chairs as possible while using CAD - obviously not the slightest bit interested in anything going on around them. I went behind one of them and pulled one of their earplugs out and put it up to my own ear,

'Ah I said, I know why they need these now - all I can hear is breathe in, breathe out, breathe in..... ' much to the amusement of everyone who could hear what I said ( which excluded about 5 of the younger ones )..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-19, 07:40 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I commute in Reading 3 days a week, ( the other two I work at home )

As said further up the thread. Noise cancelling headphones are your friend and I would find the journey intolerable without them...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote