SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-06-13, 03:33 PM   #1
mrrowley87

Default SV650 Cafe Racer construction - would you buy?

Hi there, please bear with my long winded introduction to this thread...

I'm an old SV650 owner, and I was an active member of this forum when I was riding my SV.

I loved that bike, I moved from there to a GSXR400 to a ZXR600 P7F to a Ducati 749S and now on to a ZXR400.

I wish I'd kept my SV. It did everything I wanted it to, I loved riding it and it only let my down a couple of times (Rectifier both times!).

I'm now in a position to start my own business - I'm leaving the Army, and I want to make bikes my living.

I want to set up a fabrication workshop and turn bikes in to beautiful cafe racers... And I want to base my first model on the wonderful SV.

This is where you come in...

I'd like to gauge interest in the service I'm thinking about and how much people would feel comfortable paying for it.

Please bear in mind, this isn't an offer of the service, I'm not touting for business, I'm just asking for your opinions.

So please don't flame me.

Here's the concept;

A customer could bring their SV to me (curvy or New shape) and I would transform their bike in to a like new cafe racer.

As part of the process the engine would have a full service / overhaul. And all consumables and fluids would be replaced including tyres.

The bike would be fitted with a completely new frame (geometry would match the original bike,) and the suspension would be refreshed.

The whole bike would be stripped, cleaned, painted or powder coated and re-assembled in the new frame with a new digital race dash and would essentially look like a brand new machine.

You would know the quality of the engine, as it's your bike, rather than buying a cafe racer of unknown heritage.

It would be easy to service as it would still be an SV and would not require special servicing.

All the removed, original parts will be returned with the bike on delivery.

The turn around time would be around 30 days.

Would you be interested in converting your SV to a high quality cafe racer?

How much would you deem a fair price?

Although I have no pictures of my own designs (they are still in the planning stage) I will shortly post some images of other people's cafe racers which serve as inspiration to me.

Please give me some feedback as your ideas will be very valuable!

Many thanks

Thomas
Old 24-06-13, 03:45 PM   #2
mrrowley87

Default Re: SV650 Cafe Racer construction - would you buy?

So here are some cafe racers that I really like, and I would be aiming to deliver a bike in this kind of style at the end of the process.

I must say again, these are not my bikes, I have taken these images from a google search.

Thanks

Thomas
Old 24-06-13, 03:46 PM   #3
Pricey12

Sounds like an interesting idea.

Wouldn't changing a bike's frame alter the identity though?
Old 24-06-13, 03:48 PM   #4
mrrowley87

The honest answer to that question is that I don't know. But I will find out right now and get back to you with an answer.
Old 24-06-13, 03:52 PM   #5
Pricey12

Was only out of interest really.

Wouldn't be something I would do to my current SV (although I do like cafe racers).
Old 24-06-13, 03:54 PM   #6
mrrowley87

Of course, but I need to know any way. If the question is that obvious, you won't be the only person to ask should this idea one day get of the ground.
Old 24-06-13, 03:54 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

well the way i see it your looking at £4k plus just for labour if it takes 30 days then add in the price of parts so feasibly looking at £5.5-6k.

personally i don't think anyone would pay that sort of money for a bling bling SV. most people will cafe an SV as a project.

i have based my sums on making £160 ish a day which is still a low wage when you calculate the cost of rent, power and everything else that goes along with a business and in reality your going to make about £60 a day as a wage.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-13, 03:56 PM   #8
mrrowley87

I have a figure in my mind for the work, I have calculated £4000 for the whole job. It would be more if a customer wanted an SV bought in on their behalf.
Old 24-06-13, 03:59 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

even at £4k + bike is still a lot for a fancy SV. i dont want to put a downer on your dream but i think your barking up the wrong tree with using the SV as a base model. i could be wrong but in the UK i don't think there is a market for it at this precise moment in time.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-13, 04:07 PM   #10
mrrowley87

I am more happy to hear criticism of the concept. I have chosen the SV as it's a wonderful engine, that provides just enough power for road riding.

I thoroughly enjoyed the riding experience, and I want other people to enjoy riding bikes I would make.

The 4k figure is an important one, as any lower and it isn't a viable idea.

I have been looking in to Cafe style bikes for a while, and I have found that the price is either too high (£10K+) or the bikes are of dubious quality. So I'm targeting people who may want a new bike experience, but don't want to spend all that cash (£10k for a 600 inline 4???) for a brand new bike.

Who wants a bike that started off as a poor quality non-runner and has just had a lick of paint?