SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-11-19, 01:58 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Attics

Attics were never meant to be emptied - you put stuff in and, rarely, take stuff out - but to empty one? Madness.

I'm emptying my attic(s) in preparation for the central heating re-pipe. Why do people keep old carpet remnants? I've done it myself and not once in 40 odd years of home ownership have I ever used any of it.

Why is it so hard to throw things away that are working but you'll never use again? I'm looking at you Super 8 cine projector, can you even buy super 8 film any more? A 35mm slide projector, I know they still make film but who develops it nowadays?

There's a Mattel Intellivision game console which I thought was brilliant when I was a teen. Hopelessly clunky now but back in the attic it will go...
Old 16-11-19, 02:50 PM   #2
Kenzie

Default Re: Attics

Super 8 projector you say? You can still buy films to watch.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-19, 02:52 PM   #3
Grant66

We've just moved from a 4 bed back into our old 3 bed after 10 years away.

All the surplus added to the stuff we put up there before we moved out.

1980s stereo, sega mega drive, Nintendo cube thingy, 486 PC (complete with massive 14" CRT display). Boxes of CDs, tapes and of course carpet remnants from 2 carpets ago.

Bigger attic, more space for cr4p storage, keeps it out of the garage though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-19, 01:57 AM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

…. and empty cardboard boxes. Why??????
Old 17-11-19, 02:55 AM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

People round where I am don't have attics, they use their garage instead. This explains why all their cars are outside their garages. I use my garage as a garage, though technically based on the terms of my tenancy I'm not supposed to...

When I was a recovering student I had a room with a wardrobe/ cupboard, closest thing I had to an attic. When I knew I was moving out each week I filled a black sack with things I had accumulated over the years. Things I had no use for. It took months to empty. To this day I don't understand how this was possible, it wasn't that big. I vowed never to be in that situation again. I think we all keep far to much "just in case".

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-19, 09:00 AM   #6
Kenzie

See, I like to rummage through some of your attics, so what treasures could be found. Would be cool to have the Mega Drive. We bought our first house last year and we had lived in a flat. Because we had little storage we used a spare room as a dumping ground. Our attic in our new place has a few bits in but the garage is fit to burst. Its behind a car port so isn't accessible as a garage so its just storage.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-19, 05:13 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

When we moved into our last house I put some stuff in the loft which sat there for the seven years we lived there and came back out when we moved. Deciding it was pointless I decided the only things allowed in the current loft are empty suitcases and the (plastic) Christmas tree. The rest is either used, donated to charity, or binned depending on condition. My parents are slowly emptying their loft after more than 50 years in the same house.... The amount of stuff that is coming out is ridiculous!
Old 18-11-19, 08:05 AM   #8
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

When we sold our last house I didn't realise how much stuff we had in the attic after 7 years, until I had to bring it all down to sell / move. I then noticed how much the ceiling in the main bedroom was dipping down and vowed never to put a couple of tonnes crap in the attic again at the new place. We now allow things that need storing but maybe come out once a year up there and nothing else. So it's the camping kit box and the Christmas decorations. There do seem to be a few carpet offcuts that have sneaked in there though!
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 12:50 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

As part of the mess that is divorcing, we have so much crap in our loft that will need to be got rid of some how

27 years of crap
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote