SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-03-13, 07:24 PM   #1
Brettus

Default OMO: Parking opposite someones driveway

Evening Org,
Just a quick one and I'm not mentioning which side of the particular point I am on to try and keep impartial advice off the bat.

Is it OK to park opposite a person's drive way? i.e. on the other side of the road meaning the person might need to take a little extra care to get in to the driveway but it is still technically passable.

Supporting proof would be ideal if it is a black and white issue.

Thanks org!
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-13, 07:30 PM   #2
Beetrootkiller

Default OMO: Parking opposite someones driveway

It's not illegal, but it would generally be courteous not to!

Obviously if there are restrictions such as double yellows, parking times, dropped kerb ect. Then it would be illegal.

HTH
Old 27-03-13, 07:32 PM   #3
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: OMO: Parking opposite someones driveway

Personally i wouldn't and don't. Simply because it makes it a pain to get in/out of the drive. Many of the neighbours inconsiderate visitors to this, as well as parking right next to the drive. Many a time i have left notes, had words, beeped horns and blocked them in when they've been out.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-13, 07:35 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

My old neighbour used to moan about it when I parked opposite his drive. He could easily get out, just couldn't be arsed putting the extra effort in. "Look, I can't physically get out!" ... yes you can just turn the wheel a bit more and learn to drive

He started leaving his car opposite his house until I was home.

On a busy street I don't see anything wrong with it. You've got to park somewhere
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-13, 07:44 PM   #5
Specialone

Does depend on the location i think, my neighbour is a piano teacher and her pupils' parents block my drive regular even when my neighbours part of the road is clear, it does annoy me a bit tbh but they are good people and its not worth getting too stressed about, it is funny sometimes though when i get home in my van and start reversing as normal on to my drive, you wouldnt believe how quickly they more lol
Old 27-03-13, 07:50 PM   #6
Spank86

Definitely depends on the location. I would look for a spot that's not in preference but some roads round here there wouldn't be one for miles and so it's fine.

If the roads wide enough then I say go for it.
Old 27-03-13, 07:50 PM   #7
Brettus

Cool, thanks for all the replies guys. Wanted a bit of reassurance.
My parents recently moved into a bungalow (effectively sheltered housing) and "have"* to park outside the bungalow really. The guy opposite is kicking up a fuss and even started when I was there tonight shouting across the street (whilst he had his frontera happily parked in his driveway) that we were obstructing his driveway.

There are no lines on the road and it is a pretty wide road too, its not like it is a narrow section they are parking in. I'm sure if he wasn't a bull headed idiot they'd happily move when needed but he's just being an oafish bully citing that "its illegal, check the highway code" I'd just like to prove him wrong and try to settle it down so that when there is a real problem he can just come and ask rather than complaining EVERY time.

thanks for the quick responses guys, set my mind at ease a little, I had a horrible feeling that my thoughts were wrong.

*have to in that there are 3 off road spaces for 5 bungalows but even when one is free they can't park in it as the door won't open enough for Mum to get out.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"

Last edited by Brettus; 27-03-13 at 07:51 PM.
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-13, 07:53 PM   #8
Spank86

Tell him you checked and its not illegal.

https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parki...ing-239-to-247

Note: in front of, NOT opposite.
Old 27-03-13, 08:20 PM   #9
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Does he reverse the Frontera in?
If not, tell him it's a hell of a lot easier to get out.
Is he a big bloke?
If so, keep quiet.
Old 27-03-13, 08:21 PM   #10
NTECUK
Mega Poster

It's not illegal .But after my other half poked our X Trails tow bar in the chaps car opposite he doesn't do it any more....