SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

BSB & WSB Goto BSB Website
Goto WSB Website

Old 29-03-07, 01:29 PM   #1
weazelz

Default Donington WSB 1/4 - Chat Here, May Contain Spoilers

weather forecast here. looks like it might not rain, which would make a change for an international bike racing meeting at Donington

who's your money on?

are there any BSB'ers wildcarding?
Old 29-03-07, 01:45 PM   #2
Jelster

Default Re: Donington WSB 1/4 - Chat Here, May Contain Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz View Post
weather forecast here. looks like it might not rain, which would make a change for an international bike racing meeting at Donington

who's your money on?

are there any BSB'ers wildcarding?

JT for a win & a 2nd I reckon, although it's been a while since he's raced at Donny...

Better not rain, I'm going by bike.
Old 30-03-07, 12:53 PM   #3
Alpinestarhero

I'm rooting for JT whatever the weather, 5th fastest today in wet conditions, and I reckon he can turn it up a bit too.

But who will give him a run for his money?

Mr Smooth and Mr I-Crashed-5-Times-In-The-Rain-At-Silverstone-And-Still-got-5th corser and bayliss, who are going very fast at the moment.

I think if it rains (looking unlikley?) then its an open horse race; those on lesser power machinery will find it easier, and it seems some of the less experiance superbike racers (rolfo, brookes) go fast when its wet.

Tough one to call, been a long time so it'll have to wait till sunday half way through race one to see whos got the best chance!

Come on toseland

Matt
Old 30-03-07, 05:03 PM   #4
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
I'm rooting for JT whatever the weather, 5th fastest today in wet conditions, and I reckon he can turn it up a bit too.

But who will give him a run for his money?

Mr I-Crashed-5-Times-In-The-Rain-At-Silverstone-And-Still-got-5th Bayliss, who are going very fast at the moment.
Don't remind me of that farce - I still think it's amazing that Ducati didn't get booted from the series for blatant cheating !!

I hope JT does well - he hasn't really turned it on for the home fans in recent years - but then he does seem to be more relaxed & finding it easier to find 'the groove' this year.
Old 30-03-07, 06:58 PM   #5
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
Don't remind me of that farce - I still think it's amazing that Ducati didn't get booted from the series for blatant cheating !!

I hope JT does well - he hasn't really turned it on for the home fans in recent years - but then he does seem to be more relaxed & finding it easier to find 'the groove' this year.
I personally found it rather amusing - lapping 2 seconds a lap faster than everyone else, and you knew when he was gonna come down, and he seemed to know too! Bomp - there goes the front again, just pull in the clutch and slide with the bike!

Matt
Old 30-03-07, 09:56 PM   #6
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
I personally found it rather amusing - lapping 2 seconds a lap faster than everyone else, and you knew when he was gonna come down, and he seemed to know too! Bomp - there goes the front again, just pull in the clutch and slide with the bike!

Matt
But that was the point - the engine should have cut out regardless of of whether the clutch was engaged or not because of the 'tilt switch' that all WSB bikes were (are ?) required to have.

It wouldn't have been an issue with the Hondas (& maybe others I'm not sure) because they left the starter motors attached - Ducati chose to remove theirs to save weight which meant it could only be started with that 'lawn mower' thingy !!
Old 30-03-07, 10:07 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Wasnt there also a rumour that the bike cut out when tipped on its side in the pitlane when they tested it after or was it before the race.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-07, 10:12 PM   #8
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Wasnt there also a rumour that the bike cut out when tipped on its side in the pitlane when they tested it after or was it before the race.
Yep - before as I recall !!

It was later 'suggested' that the tilt switch on the Dukes was probably a software switch that could be removed / replaced by computer - remember when they all used to have their laptops plugged in on the grid ?

I believe that this practice has now been stopped ?
Old 30-03-07, 10:29 PM   #9
Essex of Essex

Tilt switch is no longer in the regs, it came up in a commentary.
Essex of Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-07, 10:33 PM   #10
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex of Essex View Post
Tilt switch is no longer in the regs, it came up in a commentary.
Let me guess - Ducati said "can you please remove the regulation for a tilt switch?" & Flamini said "Yes, of course - we don't want to upset Ducati do we?"