SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-06-08, 03:13 PM   #1
Pimp Cat

Default Just joined, thought i would say hi

As per the title i have just joind and thought i would say hi! so Hi!!

this may not be the best place to ask for opinions on bikes as most of you will have an SV but an unbiased opinion would be great.

i am havin a hard time deciding on which bike to get and thought i would ask on here and see what people think.

So.. some background, i am a 26, doing my das in a couple of weeks with my test on the 26th. so this is going to be my first bike.

i have been lookin at lots of different bikes on auto trader and i think i have got it down to a choice of 2, i know alot will depend on whats about when i have passed, but i'll just buy the first thing i see if i don't think about it now as all i will want to do is get out on the road!

the 2 bike i have been looking at the most is a curvy SV650 (would have to be the fully faired version). or a triumph TT600.

my brother passed his test a month or so ago and has a GSXR600 so it would need to be able to keep up. ( i know that whole ride to your ability and trust me i will be taking it steady!) will either or both of the above do the job?

does anyone have/had either or both? what are they like? what sort of power am i looking at for each one? and which do you think i should get?!?

Cheers.

Colin.
Old 10-06-08, 03:16 PM   #2
kitkat

Default Re: Just joined, thought i would say hi

sv lol
Old 10-06-08, 03:20 PM   #3
Pimp Cat

Thanks! lol!!
Old 10-06-08, 03:26 PM   #4
stewie

Personally I wouldnt be worried about trying to keep up with a GSXR just yet, having said that, the curveys a cracking little bike and you wont be dissapointed, btw Ive got D650 so not knocking triumph. Welcome aboard btw, where you based ? check out the different regions for rideouts in your area etc and dont be afraid to ask if theres something you want to know
Old 10-06-08, 03:27 PM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

Hi and welcome, (you might want to put your location in your profile)

Having owned both these bikes the TT is by far the better, better performance, handling, brakes and indeed build quality, however like all ss6 ( super sport 600's) it will bite and enjoys being ridden hard, looks aren't it's best feature either.

The SV on the other hand looks good, a few choice mods see's it handling much better than stock, and it's very forgiving of mistakes so is unlikely to throw you off (where the TT would), for a first bike I'd say the SV is a better learning tool for a couple of years, it'll keep up alright on anything bar the dead straights and then only lose once well above road legal speeds.
And of course, you have this wonderfully site to help you out, the local groups will run the odd ride-out and have a social meet as well.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 03:37 PM   #6
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Croeso!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 03:42 PM   #7
Sosha

I'd say have a better look at both. Ideally a test ride would be good but if you've just passed your test it might be a bit of a high pressure situation/ difficult to sort etc....

Worth having a sit on both if height/ comfort's an issue....

Reccon either would do the job...so's really down to what you prefer.

SVs the laziest/most forgiving bike I've owned. No experience of the triumph. There will be more SVs around so more bikes to choose from/2nd hand spares but that's me guessing & possibly not a huge consideration.

oh and greetings and salutations etc
Old 10-06-08, 04:14 PM   #8
Pimp Cat

Thanks for all the welcomes and the advice, i will deffinatly be trying to take them both out for a test ride and see which i like the best, its hard cos i know that if i think with my head then i should get the SV650, but i also know that my heart wants me to have the triumph!!

Still got a while to decide tho so don't need to rush in to anything! just concentraite on passin my test in a couple of weeks!

Cheers.

Colin.
Old 10-06-08, 04:16 PM   #9
Ed

You don't need to keep up with bruv. Ride your own ride and don't be intimmidated into riding faster than you feel comfortable.

I had a SV as a first bike and it was fantastic. I've never owned a TT so can't say but I would respect Rictus's opinion on the matter
Old 10-06-08, 04:33 PM   #10
ThEGr33k

Good day.

SV all the way, its a V-twin.