SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-12-19, 10:20 AM   #1
egcSV650s

Default +3 Teeth Rear Sprocket

As its winter now ive stored my bike away and going to be taking the swingarm off to check the bearings as i got told at the mot theres a bit of play in them and while im at it my chain needs replacing so buying a endless chain so i dont have to rivet one on as i havent got the tool, so just wondering as im staying stock front sprocket but adding 3 teeth on the rear sprocket am i right in thinking that i need 2 extra links on the chain? Instead of 108links should be 110links? Thanks
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 12:58 PM   #2
glang

Default Re: +3 Teeth Rear Sprocket

I dont think an 'endless' chain exists, its really just a chain with a rivet link (once riveted it is effectively endless) as opposed to one with a clip link. On my bike the chain fits through the frame so you have to fit it open and I bought a cheap rivet tool although usually the chain is supplied with a clip link so you can, gently, ride to the nearest repair shop for them to do it....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 02:07 PM   #3
egcSV650s

Yeah you can buy them complete already linked together from manufacturer which i would prefer as i havent got the correct tool and on my 2005 sv you can just drop the swing arm and remove the chain as one. Just wasnt sure if i need a extra 2 links as im going 3 extra teeth on rear sprocket
Old 08-12-19, 10:31 AM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcSV650s View Post
...going to be taking the swingarm off to check the bearings...

Completely off... inc removing the exhaust to make it possible? You might want to check header bolts / studs aren't seized first.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 06:01 PM   #5
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Is there a particular reason you want to gain three teeth on the rear sprocket? It generally easier to drop one tooth on the front sprocket as this can normally be accommodated within the normal range of chin adjustment so you stick with a standard chain and it makes it a while lot easier to reverse once you realised the error of your ways! I'm not saying it's completely wrong to reduce your gearing, I have two front sprockets for my SV and regularly swop between them, but I wouldn't want to commit in the way you're proposing......
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 06:16 PM   #6
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Completely off... inc removing the exhaust to make it possible? You might want to check header bolts / studs aren't seized first.
Yeah ive started spraying it up with wd-40 but when it comes to it going to spray it with plus gas and use heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Is there a particular reason you want to gain three teeth on the rear sprocket? It generally easier to drop one tooth on the front sprocket as this can normally be accommodated within the normal range of chin adjustment so you stick with a standard chain and it makes it a while lot easier to reverse once you realised the error of your ways! I'm not saying it's completely wrong to reduce your gearing, I have two front sprockets for my SV and regularly swop between them, but I wouldn't want to commit in the way you're proposing......
I just fancied having a bit more acceleration but didnt want to go less on the front because ive heard it can smack on the swing arm.
Old 08-12-19, 10:00 PM   #7
Red Herring
Mega Poster

A 14T front sprocket is not a problem at all. A whole lot cheaper and easier than changing the chain and rear sprocket, and it's about the same reduction in gearing as three off the rear. I've been running one on my K5 SV on and off for over ten years without issue, gives me around 120mph in top before hitting the limiter (I don't do motorway or cruising on it...)
Pretty much the only time I put the 15T back on is when I take it to the Nurburgring.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 06:07 PM   #8
egcSV650s

Oh right, might try that option then as its the same chain length as standard. I thought i heard about dropping at the front wacks the swing arm unless im thinking if its a couple of teeth down on the front
Old 11-12-19, 12:27 PM   #9
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcSV650s View Post
As its winter now ive stored my bike away and going to be taking the swingarm off to check the bearings as i got told at the mot theres a bit of play
It might be side-to-side play which apparently they almost all have right from the factory. "Bibio" on here used to supply shims to take up that slack.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote