SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-06-05, 11:53 AM   #11
PBx

Quote:
Originally Posted by M65
I take it you've been Elmered too?! Am I the only one here who hasnt been?!!

If you have, what did he do and what was the difference like afterwards?
Yes and (probably) Yes

We had a deep and meaningful discussion about how overweight I was (or not ), riding styles, what I was experiencing. Result was a recommendation to get the correct weight of springs for my weight, matching oil etc. Then he did the do with the bits and gave me an initial setup for solo and 2 up riding.

Difference?

Actually afterwards I found I was turning into corners too early (soon sorted that). On the whole the bike just felt more comfortable on the road and far more planted. No skipping, no uncertain feelings.

As a real world example: coming along the road past Delph sailing club it gave me 75m over my brother in law, normally we were even over that road. I didn't think I was pushing it, he said he was.

Paul
Old 23-06-05, 11:59 AM   #12
M65

Cheers again for advice. A few people have also told me my settings might be too hard. I will soften them up first and see how that goes. If Im still struggling, I'll go the new springs and oil route.

Its all good fun learning about this stuff!!
Old 23-06-05, 12:01 PM   #13
M65

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBx
Quote:
Originally Posted by M65
I take it you've been Elmered too?! Am I the only one here who hasnt been?!!

If you have, what did he do and what was the difference like afterwards?
Yes and (probably) Yes

We had a deep and meaningful discussion about how overweight I was (or not ), riding styles, what I was experiencing. Result was a recommendation to get the correct weight of springs for my weight, matching oil etc. Then he did the do with the bits and gave me an initial setup for solo and 2 up riding.

Difference?

Actually afterwards I found I was turning into corners too early (soon sorted that). On the whole the bike just felt more comfortable on the road and far more planted. No skipping, no uncertain feelings.

As a real world example: coming along the road past Delph sailing club it gave me 75m over my brother in law, normally we were even over that road. I didn't think I was pushing it, he said he was.

Paul
Sounds like I could need the Elmer treatment then. Ive been told from a few other about my settings possibly being too hard (see previous post) but once Ive softened them up, if its still skipping about, I'll see if Elmer can advise me on the springs and oil etc.

Nice road past Delph isnt it?!!
Old 23-06-05, 12:06 PM   #14
PBx

Elmer is just as approachable about pure setup not just fitting stuff, so tap him up

Love the Delph road , went backwards through the dry stone wall @ 80 in a car once
Old 23-06-05, 12:10 PM   #15
BURNER

How much do you weigh M65?

Never heard of an SV with settings that were too hard as stock. Is your bike still stock?
Old 23-06-05, 12:10 PM   #16
M65

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBx
Elmer is just as approachable about pure setup not just fitting stuff, so tap him up

Love the Delph road , went backwards through the dry stone wall @ 80 in a car once
Old 23-06-05, 12:12 PM   #17
timwilky
Mega Poster

When I was Elmered, he recommended Ohlin springs/oil. But in chatting he was impressed by some white power ones he had recently fitted to a Scottish guys bike.

As you have not yet added the extra pounds of middle age, your stock springs may be sufficient and it is purely setup

He explains the whats and whys and takes the rocket science out of it. Give him a shout. But as the fuds are about to take delivery of a second SV he may be a tad busy.
Old 23-06-05, 12:15 PM   #18
M65

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
When I was Elmered, he recommended Ohlin springs/oil. But in chatting he was impressed by some white power ones he had recently fitted to a Scottish guys bike.

He explains the whats and whys and takes the rocket science out of it. Give him a shout. But as the fuds are about to take delivery of a second SV he may be a tad busy
Dropped him a PM to see what he can do. No worries if he's busy. Its good of him to help everyone out like he does.
Old 23-06-05, 12:16 PM   #19
timwilky
Mega Poster

Yeah I think he should be applying stickers to all bikes "Elmered by the Fud"
Old 23-06-05, 12:47 PM   #20
M65

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
Yeah I think he should be applying stickers to all bikes "Elmered by the Fud"
He should get some made up and stick em on the fork legs of the bikes hes worked on. Nowt like a bit of free publicity!!