SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-03-08, 01:32 PM   #1
gavinsky23

Default Starting trouble

Went to start my bike today and started it as normal with the choke. After running for a very short while the engine died. I went to restart it and it seems to be turning over but will not fire. I've checked the plugs and it's not them. Coincidentally when I turn the ignition on the oil pressure light is not on which it was before and I beleive it should be until the engine is running, don't know if this is related.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be?

Gavin
Old 18-03-08, 01:35 PM   #2
gavinsky23

Default Re: Starting trouble

Found out what the problem was. The expansion chamber for the coolant was overflowing. On my bike this was tee'd with the overflow from the petrol filler cap. Is this normal on the SV?

The tee was blocked which caused the coolant which was overflowing to go up into the tank, resulting in water in the fuel and water in the carbs. Drained all the fuel out and then refuelled it with new fuel and all seems well.

Just wondering though if the drain for the fuel overflow and the coolant expansion outlet are supposed to be tee'd together or if someone has just done this at some point. I can't see any reason for this being the case.
Old 18-03-08, 04:56 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

IIRC the drains are all tee'd in and go down by your right heel.

No idea why, doesn't serve much purpose other than to divert any messy leakage away from the bike.

Only thing that worries me, why was the coolant overflowing? Is there some sort of overpressure in the cooling system to cause this, or has someone just overfilled it?
Old 18-03-08, 05:01 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Only thing that worries me, why was the coolant overflowing? Is there some sort of overpressure in the cooling system to cause this, or has someone just overfilled it?
Hmm... I'm puzzled too....
Old 18-03-08, 07:47 PM   #5
gavinsky23

I've no idea. I had someone have a look yesterday when it wouldn't start and he found out what it was. He split the T and just ran the two hoses down seperately

After I drained the fuel and refuelled, when I first started the bike I allowed it to sit until the fan kicked in. Some coolant came out of the hose at first but then stopped. Not noticed anymore coming out today so all seems to be OK.

I presume that the level was just too high (I've only had the bike a few weeks). I still think that it seems weird having the T incase it does get blocked, can't see any benifit for it, but anyway. All seems well at the moment
Old 18-03-08, 08:02 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

IMO check carefully for excess pressure in the cooling system, emulsified oil and oil in the coolant. Also try run it from cold for a couple of minutes with the rad cap off and see if there's any bubbles.
Old 18-03-08, 08:07 PM   #7
flymo
Mega Poster

got a compression tester handy? You might have a blown head gasket assuming its not a simple over filling issue.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote