SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-12-09, 02:00 PM   #1
boot

Default Cold starting curvy

Have been using V-Power until I put some BP Ultimate in this week. Now, this could be the BP or could be the cold.

Full choke around 2.5k revs. Riding in this morning, couldn't get her to idle at usual 1.3/1.4 with choke off - just drops to around 1k or cuts out.

Do you - get bike started, get going and roll the choke off without leaving to warm up, or do you start on choke, leave to warm up until normal idle reached with choke off and then commence journey.

Thanks in advance for the helpful comments like "buy a car", "buy a pointy" (nope) etc.
Old 18-12-09, 02:16 PM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cold starting curvy

I used to get it started, which was hard work enough, with the choke on. Then ride off with choke on and gradually kill off the choke. My commute in those days was about 20 miles, motorway and in town riding. Sometimes choke would still be on when i got to work!
Try Pro FST in the fuel, it helps sort out the carb icing issues and helps it run more smoothly in this kind of coldness.

And hate to say it...but i do have a pointy now. Makes life so much easier in this type of weather!.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-09, 02:31 PM   #3
Alpinestarhero

I've found that BP ultimate isnt as good as V-power for cold starting.

I use full choke, no throttle. Hit the button and get it bursting into life, should go up to 3000 rpm on full choke (might take a moment). slowly back off on choke until engine is fast idling at about 2300-2500 rpm, put on ear plugs. slowly turn down the choke still its off and let the bike idle while i kiss maria, put on helmet, put on gloves. Go time.

If the bike dies while idling, i let it rest for 5 seconds, then try again, its normaly ok though

If you are having problems getting the bike started from cold, check the plugs are in good condition, and get the carb balancing checked aswell

Last edited by Alpinestarhero; 18-12-09 at 02:35 PM.
Old 18-12-09, 02:40 PM   #4
boot

Cheers.

Carbs balanced a few weeks ago, plugs were ok last time I checked, but will have a look at them tomorrow.

If you can't get your key in, think on - warm water will help you get the key in, but it'll freeze in there once you've got to work, deicer sorted that one out though.

Will have to get some PRO FST to try aswell, but was more interested in the let it warm or just get going side of things.
Old 18-12-09, 03:14 PM   #5
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post

I use full choke, no throttle. Hit the button and get it bursting into life, should go up to 3000 rpm on full choke! That's until Spanner man tells me off for revving a stone cold engine

Cheers.
Old 18-12-09, 03:17 PM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post
Cheers.
i turn it down again to a better idle...

me's go stand in naughty corner

(how should i be doing it, thats now the suzuki manual suggests to start the bike so thats what I follow...full choke, then turn it down so engine idles at about 2500 rpm...sometimes though the engine catches really strongly, which obviously isnt good, espeically on the valvetrain...)

Last edited by Alpinestarhero; 18-12-09 at 03:18 PM.
Old 18-12-09, 04:44 PM   #7
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good afternoon all.

My preference is to back the choke off as soon as the engine starts, & try to keep it around 1400ish rpm. That way there's less strain on the engine, & gives the components that are the last to get oil an easier life.

However, young Matt, for your previous acts of mechanical sadism, we shall upon your next visit administer a suitable punishment with a honey dipped wet kipper, & a ping pong ball

Cheers.
Old 18-12-09, 05:52 PM   #8
pce13

In this weather i use full choke and slight twist of throttle and it starts easy, even with full choke mine doesn't idle over 2000 rpm and after 30 seconds i turn choke off and ride
Old 18-12-09, 10:07 PM   #9
thedonal

Today, with a fully charged battery (plus recent service- new plugs, filters and fluids plus carbs balanced)- started at about 2/3rds choke- instantly went to about 2k revs. Upped to full choke for a bit, then started reducing- left choke on with revs about 1.5k- rode for about 5 mins with this then dropped the choke.

I've got V-Power in the engine and about 1% FST. No knocking and fairly smooth (for the cold, cold weather we're having).

Generally I'll run enough choke for about 2.5k revs until it starts warming up, drop the revs and let the oil circulate for about a minute before setting off in gear. But at the moment, with the extreme cold, I'm getting it at 3k revs first, just cos it struggles below.
Old 19-12-09, 05:03 PM   #10
Thingus

Bout 20 secs of full choke, then kept it around 1,400rpm using the choke until it ran smoothly at 1.2 ish.

Me personally i don't ride with the choke on cus i have an idea that i won't turn it off.

Fuel i use is Tesco premium or Shell V Power, dunno who Tesco use.