SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-08-08, 10:07 AM   #1
Stegsie

Default Daily commute - bad weather / clothing

Daily Commute

So I commute about 7 miles each way to work each day on my SV650s curvy; and have found it more than pleasurable during the summer months (where has summer gone by the way!!)

I currently have a Hein Gericke Textile jacket and trousers with protection on the knees, elbows, shoulders and back. Got a decent pair of Hein Gericke winter gloves too.

However, I have found that when I get into work (especially after rain like this morning!) my gear is soaked. I am thinking about getting some new leathers anyway, and am toying with the idea of getting either an all in one or separates and then getting a rain suit over them when the weather is like it is this morning. I can then just pop the all in one into a bag and hang the leathers up as normal without them dripping all over the office!!!

Does anyone else do anything similar? If not what do you do?

Can't really afford to run a car and a bike so would rather just keep on the bike through the winter months.
Old 09-08-08, 10:13 AM   #2
arenalife

Default Re: Daily commute - bad weather / clothing

I have similar problems, it's no fun doing a days work and putting dripping gear back on, even if it's not wet to the skin side. I've started putting a cheap rainsuit over my textiles which keeps 90% of the rain off them. More faff (pfaff?) in the morning but feels better.
Old 09-08-08, 10:25 AM   #3
custard

you could do, but you would have to get a quality oversuit. there seems to be a tendancy with the cheap ones to give you a wet crotch...
Old 09-08-08, 10:29 AM   #4
Stegsie

Hein Gericke have one for around £60 - seems decent quality.

The wet crotch was a huge issue this morning - ended up having to get the wife to bring me a change of clothes into work!!!
Old 09-08-08, 10:46 AM   #5
mr.anderson

Wet crotches are not nice in a suit, or at all for that mattter.

I have a set of Dainese waterproof which have seen me dry through commuting that would have bettter been described as swimming. Seriously, they are brilliant. Gore-Tex liner with 25 year guarantee.

Either way, I leave my suits at work and go in my bike gear and a work shirt. Change quickly ther and hang up myy gear to dry there (zipped together ate the waist, so the trousers hang straight to), always dry by the time I put them back on again.
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 11:01 AM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Sounds like your textiles need reproofing.You can get nicwax or similar stuff to add to a cool wash,or spray on after washing.They do need it every year or so.
Old 09-08-08, 11:15 AM   #7
Tiger 55

I hang my textiles up so that the water runs off in to a bin. An elegant solution I fancy.
Old 09-08-08, 11:58 AM   #8
Dangerous Dave

Textiles are great, however I tend to only use them in winter months for the cold more than anything. If it is just rain then a cheap one piece or two piece over suit will do the job perfectly, plus they dry out very quickly.
Old 09-08-08, 12:10 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I've heard the triumph ones have a massive advantage in that you don't have to do the "damp dance" to get them over your boots.
Old 09-08-08, 01:17 PM   #10
Stegsie

Think I will get down to Hein Gericke and buy either one of the One Piece leathers they have on offer - or the two piece leathers (again one offer) and also get an all in one rain suit to go over the top.

I can then put my work shirt and trousers in my tank bag and get changed into it when I get to work. I'll hang the leathers up and put the rain suit in a waterproof bag too.

Should sort me out - yes?