SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Wheres theres blame....
Moral High Ground 7 63.64%
Money and run 4 36.36%
keithd: sacked by text 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-07, 04:10 PM   #1
Gordon B

Default Todays Moral Dilemma

So heres the thing...

Someone drives into the back of SWMBO last night (big silver passat easy to miss). Other driver has claimed full responsibilty.

Now, I am quite a vocal exponent of our current 'where theres blame, theres a claim' society with people sueing each other coz their coffee is too hot etc...

However, a couple of grand wouldn't go amiss this time of year so what am I to do.

Take the moral high ground, or take the money and run.....
Old 08-12-07, 04:17 PM   #2
Kate Moss

Default Re: Todays Moral Dilemma

take the money, i would imagine that if it was the other way around - he/she wouldn't think twice about taking the money! just don't tell anyone!!
Old 08-12-07, 04:18 PM   #3
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Open the Box.....

TAKE THE MONEY....!
Old 08-12-07, 04:23 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Don’t take the p1ss else karma will get you

But if you want something tangible - it is people that take advantage of the system that makes insurance so darn expensive in the first place!! …. The more people make falsified/exaggerated claims, the more they will keep rising … so don’t add to the falsified claimer list …

In short, no, don’t do it!!

Oh and I had a similar decision the other day when someone pulled out on me when I was on my bike … I could have claimed and really embellished what damage was done, but I didn’t …
Old 08-12-07, 04:57 PM   #5
MeridiaNx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Oh and I had a similar decision the other day when someone pulled out on me when I was on my bike … I could have claimed and really embellished what damage was done, but I didn’t …
And seemed to be a bit regretful afterwards if I remember the thread correctly given the potential damage to the bike?

Gordon, tough one. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I'm afraid.

1. Take the money - you add to the list of unnecessary (perhaps) claims, inflate insurance costs, contribute to the vicious cycle.

2. Take the high ground - you are more satisfied but 'out of pocket', your decision will not change the general proliferation of claims so you are only hurting yourself, you do not 'reclaim' the cash you've had to lay out on your own higher premiums, the cycle goes on regardless.

That's just my cynical view on things mate, but I don't blame you for thinking of claiming, nor do I blame you for feeling a bit dirty for wanting to do it and second guessing.

One option would be to claim, get the money, and if you feel really uncomfortable at that point, give it to a charity instead. Not that everyone has the financial luxury to do that of course but I'm just saying.
Old 08-12-07, 05:07 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Money and run, just be fair about it, don't suddenly develop whiplash, aids, post traumatic stress etc. for the claim.
That what insurance is there for and you're not claiming for being an idiot like all the darwin awards morons causing M&S to put "caution product may be hot after heating" on pie.

I'd be tempted to take the pi$$, they started it by charging me £700 tpft lol
Old 08-12-07, 08:53 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridiaNx View Post
And seemed to be a bit regretful afterwards if I remember the thread correctly given the potential damage to the bike
My situation/frustration was that I didn't even swap details, I am now out of pocket as turns out my bike is damaged and I can't claim for what is rightfully mine (the bent bits) ... that is what I am gutted about ... not that I could have made £many in pretending I was hurt etc ....

I am not saying don't claim (sounds like a claim is in anyway), but I am saying don't embellish it - which is what the moral dilemma is about here

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 08-12-07 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-12-07, 09:09 PM   #8
metalmonkey

Well someone did that me to a while back....

I was driving down the the archway rd, slid into the ass of the black cab, in the wet after he slammed his brakes on....

Anyway, feck all damage to his cab, he claimed over the top for that, they he said, he had wip lash, soft tissue damage, bad back was off work after the accident, a less than 5 mph crash and claimed all this, after jumping out the cab, and when asked are you hurt he said "NO" just devloped the injury later on, total scum...

Actually I had a guy trying this on a few weeks back, no damage to either car I know casue I checked he said back and neck pian for a total no damage rear end....Well we told where to go.

I really think people claming for none exist injuries should be done for insurance fraud becasue that what is. All that happens is makes mine and everyones insurance more expensive I would rather have cheaper insurance so I can spend it on my bike.

If you have been injured then go for it, I pay an extra £30/year on my car/bike insurance to recover cost should the worst happen thats what it is there for.
Old 08-12-07, 09:11 PM   #9
BILLY

It was his fault not yours his mistake and his insureance will pay so sue him and don't feel guilty about it! Just think what if you was on your bike at the time!!!
Old 09-12-07, 12:25 PM   #10
gettin2dizzy

Take the money for the damages. Don't sue him; that's just gay.