SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-12-14, 06:29 PM   #11
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default GSXR 750 K6 or L1? which to buy

Bat kam, where are you based? If I remember correctly you are near to me, are the 2 you are referring to at Trade Ins?

If so, they will be more than happy to let you ride em both, probably more than once. As they are at the same place, you can set up a little route to test them out on?

Also it's worth phoning them or checking their actual website. They can sometimes let the admin slip a bit.

My mate once fell in love with a bike they had on auto trader that got sold a couple of weeks before.
Old 20-12-14, 06:39 PM   #12
bat-kam

Pyro, you are correct. I had a go on both of them and L1 felt a lot better and looks so much nicer than the K6.
One problem i found with L1 was vibration under hard-ish braking. So I got a deal where i p/x my old bike abd they will put new discs at the front all for £5,1k.
Happy days

Maybe one day we could go for a ride together

Kam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bat-kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-14, 06:45 PM   #13
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Ah good stuff!

I was drooling over that one last night after going through this thread. It's not a bad looking bike although I confess I prefer the K7 they have with 11000 miles.

I also got bored so started to see insurance costs, sadly a gixxer 750 is prohibitively expensive for me to insure, even one as old as a K6!! Oddly a spanking new daytona 675 isn't haha

But yeah def, once the weather is a bit better we can head out for some rides!

You had any thoughts on track days yet in terms on locations?

I did my first one a few months back at Rockingham, was brilliant fun!
Old 20-12-14, 06:56 PM   #14
bat-kam

In regards to track day I was talking to guys at SmartRiders and they strongly advised me to do International Silverstone one as its wide and not the full gp length so easier to learn all corners.

Old 20-12-14, 10:20 PM   #15
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: GSXR 750 K6 or L1? which to buy

Rockingham is also wide and grippy, but slower, and makes a great first track that you can still have fun on later. Silverstone International is also fun but you'll be able to open it up on the straights more. If you go to Silverstone, see if you can book a track day with them directly, you get treated a lot better than No Limits etc.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-14, 11:16 PM   #16
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Rockingham is def wide enough, and slow enough for the SV to be fast, I found that even on the short straight it didn't quite have the legs for it top end wise. It did mean that I could brake later though due to the slower speed. Even then I was probably hitting 110??

Don't think I would do Silverstone on the SV, really won't have the legs for that haha.

Although maybe next year if I get a Daytona

Think me and my mates are looking at Rockingham again or maybe brands or Donnington for this year.
Old 21-12-14, 08:41 PM   #17
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

If you mean Rockingham International then yeah it's faster, but the bit of oval is crap really. The National (all infield) is more fun. I've ridden Silverstone twice on the SV (International and GP), and yes it is a fast track, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. The corners are flowing, and on the full circuit there are 5-6 places you can get over 100mph (including one corner). I overtook a few people but yeah when you get on the Hangar Straight (about 30% longer than the straights at Cadwell) and someone on most other bikes opens the taps, there isn't much else you can do but duff them up through the bends later. It's a very different experience to Rockingham but still great fun, and I might well go back in 2015.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-14, 11:36 AM   #18
TheRamJam
Mega Poster

K6 all day long mate
Yamaha MT 10 - Sold

Current Bike: Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory
TheRamJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-14, 12:18 AM   #19
SIII
Mega Poster

K8 onwards have the cat welded on and therefore a change of pipes or hacking off job required. Just to confirm my suspicions earlier.
Old 23-12-14, 07:42 AM   #20
bat-kam

Here she is
I need to set up the suspension now because the previous owner had it very stiff. I have already changed it back to manufactures setting but reading on the wwww and YouTube Few people said that the standard setting needs adjusting. And I can confirm this.

Is there anyone around Dorset who knows this stuff and would be willing to help?

I have some knowledge but it would be nice to have reassurance