SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-07-08, 02:08 PM   #1
SV-net

Default Microsoft Office Word 2007 - Complaints

We recently installed some new versions of Office at work and the ladies here are really creating that its c**p and does not work well. Apparently not anywhere near as good as the 2003 version.

Are they just stuck in their ways of the old version and dont want to move on or is there really an issue with the new version.

Its like they are ganging up on me over it!
Old 04-07-08, 02:30 PM   #2
ooger

Default Re: Microsoft Office Word 2007 - Complaints

At the risk of sounding marginally sexist, I'd suggest you replace the women with men. They will complain less.

Failing that, talk them through the uninstall process and let them wild with Notepad, or if they're crazy kinda gals, WordPad.
Old 04-07-08, 05:12 PM   #3
startrek.steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-net View Post
We recently installed some new versions of Office at work and the ladies here are really creating that its c**p and does not work well. Apparently not anywhere near as good as the 2003 version.

Are they just stuck in their ways of the old version and dont want to move on or is there really an issue with the new version.

Its like they are ganging up on me over it!
Try installing Open Office... its free and compatible with Office03
Old 04-07-08, 05:23 PM   #4
Dave The Rave

I like it. Take some getting used to it but I think it is ace.
Old 04-07-08, 05:29 PM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

My company still use office 2000. With over 50,000 desktops it takes a brave person to decide overnight we are to change.

License costs, compatibility, and training all need to be included in the costing. You then have to add that the unnecessary bloatware could kill the poor PC. so add the cost of PC replacements as well.

We are still holding onto a few PCs with WordPerfect for old tenders etc. as we have never managed to get 100% identical formatting when converting documents to Word, and with a couple of hundred thousand documents floating about. We just archived them, didn't bother to convert. and use WP if they require ammending

Last edited by timwilky; 04-07-08 at 05:33 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 06:43 PM   #6
MavUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek.steve View Post
Try installing Open Office... its free and compatible with Office03
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I tried that recently, then gave up as it's useless Can't format a doc anywhere near as good as word and slowed my 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, with 4GB ram to a crawl (almost as bad as installing Norton). It slowed down after installing and speed up again once I removed it.

As for 2007 - it takes getting used to, but once used to it it's so much more productive than 2003. But, most people complain within 5 mins and refuse to try and get used to it... (In my exp)

(BTW Installed Open Office as my trial ran out and needed to install either my 2003 version or try something new. Back on 2003 now, prefer 2007 but it's way better than open office IMHO )

Last edited by MavUK; 04-07-08 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added reason at end of post
Old 04-07-08, 07:11 PM   #7
Nostrils

I havent seen the new versions but I am always ready for progress and change. Yes it is probably different and people will have to find new ways, but change is good!

I have Office 2003 at home and work has 2000, slightly different but 2003 is definitely better. Work has about 10,000 PC to change if they did but because most of the in house software is vital, they dont always interact very well with each other. The company has only just rolled out XP SP2 and it is creating havoc with security both software and CCTV.
Old 04-07-08, 07:56 PM   #8
SV-net

Interesting comments thanks guys (and girls).
Must admit I tried Open Office and found it slow and sluggish to use. My new 2007 Office is great with new features that are great when you start getting to grips with them.

Thanks for all your feedback.
Old 04-07-08, 08:52 PM   #9
wyntrblue

office 2k7 is fantastic, i allways found the earlyer versions harder to use as everything i wanted was hidden away, sure users moan at change, but thats what there for right?
Old 04-07-08, 09:08 PM   #10
TEC

2007 is fine once you get used to it, even better to have Sharepoint available as well

And although everyone who hates M$ says install OE as its free, normally miss an important bit in the EULA, its only free to indiviuals & companies if they are already a Novell partner, like what we are and we use M$ Office