SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-10-13, 11:38 AM   #1
JohnStMartin

Default k7 wiring questions galore

So my new dash has four light options, and i have chosen to use indicators , high beam oil pressure and neutral.

using the haynes manual, I easily got high beam working
I got the indicator working, but i'll get to that

oil pressure is connected to the correct wire and the common negative, but doesnt work (normally came on when you turned the bike on - then went off)

does the negative wire have to go somewhere else first?

neutral is the same story, connected as per the haynes, and then onto negative, but does not work.

The indicator light does work , but because L + R are connected together it makes both indicators flash at the same time - what do i need to resolve this?

thanks for bearing with me...

Extra credit....
If i get a bulb , how can i wire the fuel light in? The haynes diagram is not exactly clear...
Old 29-10-13, 04:32 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: k7 wiring questions galore

I don't have a wiring diagram anywhere handy, but I believe the oil light is a switched earth, that is that it should be a positive to the bulb, and the lead to the oil pressure switch is the earth, which is "made" if the pressure is below the operating pressure of the switch.

Have a look at the wiring diagram and see if that seems like it would hold true, I'm unsure if the same would go for neutral or not.

I seem to remember for the curvy that the fuel sensor was essentially a pair of thermistors or similar, so they didn't straight switch but varied resistance depending on if they were submerged in fuel. If that's the case then you'd need some kind of switch driven from those values. That is, however, a very vague memory of a conversation based around building a set of clocks for an earlier version of the bike.

Jambo
Old 29-10-13, 06:06 PM   #3
JohnStMartin

so as far as oil goes , its not the common negative , but it's own?

the haynes manual just has all the wires going into the digital display , but not coming out the other side!
Old 29-10-13, 06:55 PM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

I have a wiring diagram for a curvy in my Haynes. Don't have the up to date one. In the curvy one you can see the oil pressure switch goes to earth after the switch, so must be fed a live from the clocks and bulb.

On the curvy there's a turn signal relay & diode which gives an output for the indicator light on the dash without combining them directly. This may be integrated into the pointy clocks I suppose.

I'd have a good look at the correct page in the Haynes for your year. If in doubt take a good clear picture and put it up. I don't want to cause confusion by referencing an old loom in detail.

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard
Old 29-10-13, 07:45 PM   #5
JohnStMartin

ok
had a look on other forums and the google. I need diodes to stop the indicator problem , but which size?
the oil pressure and neutral seem to be an easy fix aswell , the wires in the diagram that i thought were positive are actually negative.

I need to know what size of diodes to use and which of now redundant switched positives in the gauge cluster loom i can use to power my oil pressure and neutral...

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 29-10-13, 08:47 PM   #6
JohnStMartin

bugger , i have now ruined it!

headlight indicator and indicator work ( up to a point)

still no luck after trying a few different configurations, but now when i turn on the ignition and turn off the kill switch , the system does not prime.

the only permanent change i made was to cut off the redundant block connector at the gauge cluster end of the loom.

SH!T can anyone help me?