SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-02-15, 07:22 PM   #1
kam1nsk1

Default Curvy wet-weather problems - rain in tank?

Hello

This is my first post, and it may relate to a common issue, but I can't fin any information that sounds exactly like my problem so here goes.
Sorry if it's an essay, I'm just trying to pre-empt questions by giving as much info as I can!

Bought a 2000 curvy about 5 weeks ago and so far have had nothing but problems.

It seemed in good overall condition when I bought it, was very low mileage and had been kept garaged while not in use so it seemed a safe buy.

However, after a week of riding it with no real problems aside from a feeling of rustiness, I came out of work after a rainy day and it started coughed, and died. It would just about idle but put it gassing it made it die.

I assumed it was probably bad fuel clogging the carbs as the person I bought it off had not used it for a long time and had left the fuel in.

Mechanic stripped the carbs, which were very gungey, but afterward could not get it going. Compression was fine, ignition control was fine, but wouldn't run.

Eventually changed spark plugs and did a few other things (some water in the cylinders and the carbs) and it was running, albeit a bit unevenly.

It was ok for a week or so, but yesterday it started playing up badly whilst out in the rain, power dropping out, especially at lower revs.
It was also a bit low on fuel, so I nursed it home and put so fuel in on the way. As soon as new fuel went in the problems seemed to stop, or at least be greatly reduced.

Tried her again this morning and very very lumpy. At first it wouldnt run at all without choke full out and then would just idle. Eventually got her to run and went round the block a few times, but very lumpy, expecially at lower revs. Seems to be better if you get speed up and into 3rd gear and above but obviously not right.

Checked spark plug and it doesn't seem wet, the drain hole is clear and not full of water.

I think it may be water in the fuel, so checked the drain hole inside the fuel cap. This is definitely blocked. Also, there is a small rubber hose right at the back of the tank that is doubled up and tied off. I thought that would be the drain whole from the top of the tank, but when I untied it fuel started pouring through.

So... anybody able to give me any help?
Old 18-02-15, 07:32 PM   #2
barryreynolds

Default Re: Curvy wet-weather problems - rain in tank?

That's a common problem of water getting in the front cylinder. This guys explains it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIw-QPtvpr4
Old 18-02-15, 07:43 PM   #3
kam1nsk1

I don't think that's it. As I said, the front sparks is new, it isn't wet and the drain hole is not clogged or wet inside.

I think that drain pipe through the tank is corroded and that someone previous had tied it off to stop fuel leaking, causing rain to get in the fuel.

Can anyone confirm that the drain pipe comes out at bottom of the tank between the hinges? And that this shouldn't be tied off?
Old 18-02-15, 08:25 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam1nsk1 View Post
I think that drain pipe through the tank is corroded and that someone previous had tied it off to stop fuel leaking, causing rain to get in the fuel.

Can anyone confirm that the drain pipe comes out at bottom of the tank between the hinges? And that this shouldn't be tied off?
Yes, drain exits from the tank by the hinge. It connects to a rubber hose to drain any water collecting around the filler cap recess.

Don't know what you mean about being tied off?

To test the drain for leaks into the tank, get a straw or pipe and blow down the drain hole. If there's any holes you'll get bubbles in the tank or hear it.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-15, 08:26 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Ah see what you mean about tied off.

No it shouldn't, but leaking fuel from that hose isn't good news
Old 18-02-15, 08:30 PM   #6
kam1nsk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Yes, drain exits from the tank by the hinge. It connects to a rubber hose to drain any water collecting around the filler cap recess.

Don't know what you mean about being tied off?

To test the drain for leaks into the tank, get a straw or pipe and blow down the drain hole. If there's any holes you'll get bubbles in the tank or hear it.

The rubber hose at the bottom was doubled over and tied with a cable tie.
When I removed this it started leaking fuel through until I tied it back!

I tried squirting a bit of wd40 down the hole at the top end under the fuel cap and it just came back out, so it is definitely blocked.
Old 18-02-15, 08:32 PM   #7
kam1nsk1

It was about 2 inches long btw
Old 18-02-15, 08:44 PM   #8
kam1nsk1

I'm assuming that this is tied off because the pipe inside is corroded and so fuel was leaking out from this point.
This means that when it rains, water is getting into the fuel because it doesn't drain away as it should.

Will check this to be true by draining fuel from the tank etc, but if it is that can anyone suggest a work around, short of buying a new tank? Would it be possible to insert a new pipe through the old one?
Old 18-02-15, 08:50 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Its tricky, but I can't remember any easy solutions

If you don't want to buy a replacement, then you could send it here for repair

http://www.fueltanks.co.uk/pages/bikes.html

But you have to get it sorted, otherwise you're going to have this problem all the time
Old 18-02-15, 09:00 PM   #10
kam1nsk1

Thanks for the help, I think I probably need to get on ebay and find a new (used) tank.