SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-05-07, 12:18 PM   #1
ivantate

Default How much would breaking a bike fetch?

After looking into my gearbox problem on my K5 it will cost £300 in parts from Suzuki to fix. This is all happening as I am running out of time for my move (and what was a ride down) to Italy. It is a SK5 and has 7500miles, disappointing really as everything in the engine looks like new and I have had to disturb it all.

So I have a few choices:

1- Fix with new parts
2- Fix with secondhand parts
3- Sell as is with engine stripped.
4- Break the bike.

Just wondering what the big bits are fetching at the moment and what kind of figure I could expect to recoup.
Old 29-05-07, 12:31 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Default Re: How much would breaking a bike fetch?

You would loose big time, why not just get another engine and then sell yours as running except for gearbox.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-07, 12:38 PM   #3
ivantate

Have got that feeling but just need to cross it off the list.
Old 29-05-07, 01:29 PM   #4
kwak zzr

cant you get a box from a breakers?
Old 29-05-07, 01:30 PM   #5
2mths

What's the warranty period on SVs? A K5 is rather new to be having gearbox problems isn't it? Might there be any goodwill from Suzuki if it's been dealer serviced.
Old 29-05-07, 01:30 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
cant you get a box from a breakers?
or a good bottom end with a crapped top end, then mix and match the two together
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-07, 01:46 PM   #7
ivantate

The whole problem is that I only have a month to sort this out and the dealers all needed about 6 weeks before they could get the bike in the workshop. As it hasnt been dealer serviced there was also doubt whether Suzuki would be interested.

Have just got off the phone to SV spares and have got a complete box from them for £100, gaskets etc will probably be about another £80 and then it should be fine.
Aparently it came from an engine they had with a rod snapped, which is a reasonably regular occurance.

I am bestman at a mates wedding this weekend but it should all be back together during the week afterwards.
I think it is all the high speed riding I do that may have caused this (I am sure everyone else does plenty too) and it will only get worse when I am in Italy. Saturday morning to airport and monday morning back to work, 150miles in each direction early in the morning on British plates is really going to stretch the 650. Could be time for that 1000 I have been trying to avoid buying.
Old 29-05-07, 01:48 PM   #8
kwak zzr

sv1000?
Old 29-05-07, 01:51 PM   #9
hovis

off topic a bit........ but whats the answer to the question "How much would breaking a bike fetch"

i would say £1500+? if standard.......... thats if you can get rid of all the parts?
Old 29-05-07, 03:41 PM   #10
ivantate

I think getting rid of all the parts would be the problem. Would have had to make the money out of the big chunks,

Frame + V5
Back Wheel
Front Wheel
Tank
Plastics (nose cone cracked)
Cylinder Heads
Cranks
Forks
Shock
Clip ons
Switch gear
Clocks
Seats

Would have to be going some to get anywhere near £2k. Was checking the prices on the SVspares website.