SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-07-07, 09:53 AM   #1
Redfox

Default pops n'bangs galore

Ok, so I have a new exhaust on my bike which was sounding better for a week and seemed to be doing just fine, but this morning I was riding for an hour and when accelerating, all speeds and all gears, it started making popping noises.

I thought it may be warming up or perhaps the oil was low, but after an hour it was pretty hot and the oil level seemed to be fine.

I'm not at all technical and don't have a clue what it could be! I've checked that the connections are ok and it seems fine but am lost for ideas as to what else may be causing it.

Anyone had this problem and had it sorted ok? I'm nervous about taking it to a garage as funds are low and I hear they just rip you off. Bit negative I know! But probably also justified

Also...should it be safe to ride around on without making the problem worse? I have a few things I really need to do...starting now!

Ta
Old 25-07-07, 09:59 AM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: pops n'bangs galore

the sv does pop and bang with a race can on but usually on the (throttle off after acceleration), if this is the case then its normal just enjoy
Old 25-07-07, 10:44 AM   #3
John 675

Exclamation Re: pops n'bangs galore

I have a Viper race can, and mine does it all the time, so it should be doing what it is supposed to, i like it lol, normally happens in 3rd when i let of the throttle at about 38Mph gives out a nice POP and BANG lol, ! ! !
Old 25-07-07, 11:00 AM   #4
kwak zzr

cool avatar lylej.
Old 25-07-07, 11:17 AM   #5
John 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
cool avatar lylej.
why thank you Kwak, i thought it was time people actually saw me for once lol,
Old 25-07-07, 11:25 AM   #6
Warthog

Yeah mine pops when you shut the throttle, its all part of having an aftermarket can. Unless you mean the pops are coming from the engine rather than the exhaust?
Old 25-07-07, 11:32 AM   #7
Redfox

Ah yes, I quite enjoyed some of the other pops too The ones I'm concerned about are the accelerating pops, not the decelerating. It could be coming from the engine...I've tried listening but am really not sure where it's happening exactly! How can I tell?
Old 25-07-07, 11:37 AM   #8
John 675

could have a loose seal or connection somewhere then, check your pipes to see if there is a gap.
Old 25-07-07, 12:05 PM   #9
riktherider

is it a curvy or pointy? if it is a curvy, take the carbs off, and on the front carb, there should be a short bit of hose coming off with a screw in the end. this is the block off for the vacuum on the front carb. the piping on mine was all cracked and split, that was causing mine to pop like crazy. fitted a new bit of hose, screwed the screw back in and now its smooth as ever. very rarely backfires while letting the throttle off.
Old 25-07-07, 12:16 PM   #10
Redfox

Cheers for advice
It's a pointy but I'll employ the help of one trusty 'cat' and have a look at taking it apart if it doesn't magically sort itself out before then...