SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-06-18, 07:30 AM   #5921
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Plan B is a ride across country to Wales...
Or the peak district...less than 2 hrs ride away. I'm stuck in Norfolk, bloody 4 hrs ride to get to any of those lovely places...

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-18, 08:14 AM   #5922
Red ones
Mega Poster

I was thinking my gripe was a 60 Mile commute in warm weather with clear blue skies, warm tarmac and sticky tyres.

First I have to get the lone fly out of my house. They do my head in.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-18, 09:38 AM   #5923
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Vegan's!

Especially when there's 4 different types of mushrooms in my fridge and milk alternatives, so there's no room for much else!

Roll on September, then I'll have a fridge with some free space
Beer is (usually) vegan. Get them to fill it with that instead.
Old 26-06-18, 09:50 AM   #5924
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-18, 11:50 AM   #5925
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Vegan's!

Especially when there's 4 different types of mushrooms in my fridge and milk alternatives, so there's no room for much else!

Roll on September, then I'll have a fridge with some free space
The vegetarian animals of the world (also known as prey) have to spend every daylight hour eating their low nutrient food, and then all hours of darkness chewing it over and over again until their teeth wear out and they die. The omnivores / meat eaters (otherwise known as predators) can happily eat once a day or less, takes an hour at most, and spend the time doing what they like (sunbathing or having fun). The world does need creatures that can eat vegetable matter and turn it into high grade food for the others, but some creatures that can eat meat chose to eat lower grade food, don't ask me why.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-18, 12:41 PM   #5926
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
but some creatures that can eat meat chose to eat lower grade food, don't ask me why.
Well there's a number of reasons why an intelligent species would choose not to eat meat.

No death.
No cruelty.
Greater energy efficiency. Every level of the trophic pyramid consumes energy.
Therefore greater theoretical total human population of the world before running out of resources.

Also, there's the point that with food technology as it stands today, there's no health benefit to eating meat.

So in short if you're choosing to eat meat, you're choosing to harvest animal flesh simply because it tastes good.

For the vegetarians amongst us, it is theoretically possible to produce milk and eggs ethically. However it doesn't happen in the industry as it is today.
Old 26-06-18, 12:53 PM   #5927
maviczap
Mega Poster

Wink Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Good idea, although as it's my money buying the vegan eater in my household food, so technically I could substitute mushrooms for beer.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-18, 12:57 PM   #5928
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Good idea, although as it's my money buying the vegan eater in my household food, so technically I could substitute mushrooms for beer.
Yes if you're not vegan, no harm will come to you from eating vegan food.

My money buys meat & dairy for the non-vegans in my household. My fridge is full of delicious things I refuse to eat.
Old 26-06-18, 01:09 PM   #5929
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Well there's a number of reasons why an intelligent species would choose not to eat meat.

No death.
No cruelty.
Greater energy efficiency. Every level of the trophic pyramid consumes energy.
Therefore greater theoretical total human population of the world before running out of resources.

Also, there's the point that with food technology as it stands today, there's no health benefit to eating meat.

So in short if you're choosing to eat meat, you're choosing to harvest animal flesh simply because it tastes good.

For the vegetarians amongst us, it is theoretically possible to produce milk and eggs ethically. However it doesn't happen in the industry as it is today.
If we are going down the efficiency route, we should all eat insects then, they are the most efficient / sustainable way of producing protein and fat (and quite a bit of roughage as well in some of them), fungus is also good as it will live on any old rubbish.

All the more hamburgers and sausages for us carnivores then........ and it tastes better than dried locusts or mealworms.

Natures favourite way way of controlling population is by the food supply available (and also disease when things get too crowded), humans are going against the tide by manipulating the food supply just so that Africans don't need to use contraception, in the meantime the extra bodies just continue to degrade the planet and steal habitat from the other creatures we share it with. Typical human arrogance, but it is just delaying the inevitable crash a by few more years..... then cockroaches and ants will inherit what is left of the Earth.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 26-06-18 at 01:10 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-18, 01:18 PM   #5930
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Typical human arrogance, but it is just delaying the inevitable crash a by few more years..... then cockroaches and ants will inherit what is left of the Earth.
By a lot more years.
Soya and other legumes and some fungi are protein rich and are better than insects. Trophic pyramid still applies whatever method you use.

Unfortunately most of the animals you share your habitat with are in fact farmed. The percentage of wild mammal biomass on the entire planet is somewhat worryingly low. The most energy efficient use of land is to grow plants to eat.

There's also the argument of greenhouse gases produced by cows, but frankly I'm not sure vegans produce much less