SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-07-05, 04:30 PM   #11
Stig

I used to start the bike and then get kitted up before riding away. I have been given different advice since.

Starting your bike and leaving to warm up is likely to cause more damage than riding away with a cold engine. The reason for this is that when you start the bike and leave it to idle there is no oil pressure build up and therefor the engine is not working effectively. It is better to start up and ride away, riding at a sedate pace until the engine is warm and the pressure has built up.

As for tyre warmth. That really does depend on what tyres you have fitted and how you ride when starting off.

I have found that the Road Attacks warm up quite quickly if you use them a bit aggressive. It only takes me a few corners in this sort of weather before I can start to push the tyres a little in the corners. After a couple of miles of this they are ready to go, so to speak.

As jonboy said, if your ride is down straight roads at national speed limits and below then you are going to have to work the tyres properly before giving it a fist full on the bends.
Old 11-07-05, 04:55 PM   #12
04SV650S

you don't want to judge tire warmth by engine temp... because you dont want to ride your bike until it is in the running temps... bikes need warm ups before you start driving the if you want them to last ... it's just not good for the engine to start it up and start driving... it's not a neon or a cavalier...
The bike is desinged to persorm at certain temperaures... I don't recomend running it cold...heat expands things and the bike is clearly desined to run at certain tempt... that's why it's liquid cooled and there is a digital temp guage installed... Don't run it cold, if you've ever notice on really cold days how it respodns when you first start it.... well that should be a good indication ...
Sorta like going to the gym and pumping iron without stretching... sure you can do... but your more likely to pull a muscle or something... as in a bike the engine was desinged to run at certain temps... You can go ask the people whom work at your local Suzuki dealer ship. I was also informed of this when I purchased my SV... although I was already doing this with my older CBR and the bikes before it anyhow...

... in terms of the tire grip, it will depend on the road temps and conditions... so I would recomend when driving before any hardcore corners take place to just start out gradually until you hit a corner and are ready for maximum lean angle... another idea would be to instal a seperate gauge with temp sensors hooked up to measure tire temps ... this couls be a fun project...

...another self check would be to look at the chicken strips on your tires... the bigger the chicken strips, the less you are leaning in corners and your driving style probably wouldn't benifit as much as others from warmer tires when it comes to cornering...
Old 11-07-05, 05:04 PM   #13
04SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
in mcn about a month ago it said it was'nt good to warm a bike up left ticking over on the side stand? apparently its no good for your oil. best way was to start and ride,just dont hammer it till the lumps warm.
...and if this is a concern, just sit on your bike while it wamrs up... or atleast do what I do... sit it up straight and start it up, then after a few seconds or so I put it back on its kick stand..
Old 11-07-05, 05:11 PM   #14
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SV650S
you don't want to judge tire warmth by engine temp... because you dont want to ride your bike until it is in the running temps... bikes need warm ups before you start driving the if you want them to last ... it's just not good for the engine to start it up and start driving... it's not a neon or a cavalier...
The bike is desinged to persorm at certain temperaures... I don't recomend running it cold...heat expands things and the bike is clearly desined to run at certain tempt... that's why it's liquid cooled and there is a digital temp guage installed... Don't run it cold, if you've ever notice on really cold days how it respodns when you first start it.... well that should be a good indication ...
Sorta like going to the gym and pumping iron without stretching... sure you can do... but your more likely to pull a muscle or something... as in a bike the engine was desinged to run at certain temps... You can go ask the people whom work at your local Suzuki dealer ship. I was also informed of this when I purchased my SV... although I was already doing this with my older CBR and the bikes before it anyhow...
Conflict of opinion here so who is right
Old 11-07-05, 05:22 PM   #15
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I'm with the start it and ride off side here.This causes the engine to warm up more quickly thus minimising the time running cold. As long as you don't thrash it that makes sense to me.
Old 11-07-05, 05:35 PM   #16
04SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
I'm with the start it and ride off side here.This causes the engine to warm up more quickly thus minimising the time running cold. As long as you don't thrash it that makes sense to me.
you've atleast have to let you bike warm up until 40C+ before riding off... and keep in the lowest possible revs until it hits normal riding temps ... I still reccomend letting it wamr up a little bit more ... plus the first few minutes of my driving are always low low reved ... Trust me on this... my last bike rolled over... that is the kilometers went so High it went back to zero again...

I say that you should check this out with your suzuki dealer for clarification... how about someone making a new thread with a POLL ... get some more user input here...
Old 11-07-05, 05:52 PM   #17
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Definately don't warm up, the only exception to this is if the temperature where you are is so low that the engine won't run reliably until warmed a little, it's better to sacrifice a little engine life, which you will be doing if you let it run pointlessly doing nothing, rather than possibly risk unsafe riding from an unpredictable engine.

Start up, gloves on, ride away - gently without labouring the motor.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-05, 06:14 PM   #18
RandyO

I have a 1st gen with no temp guage, I start riding as soon as the bike will idle without choke, which is immediatly in warmer weather. I take it easy (keep the rpm within breaking recomendations) until I feel heat on my legs coming from the engine (2-3 minutes/1 mile in warm weather)

does anybody want me to get into my sub zero farenheit riding proceedures?

you can lean all the way to the edges on a cold tire, you just don't want to do it at high speeds or with abrupt inputs, in other words if your smooth enuf, you can do almost anything. when you are leaning to the edge, you just have to be careful with throttle, if you feel wheelspin, roll off a bit, but not so much that you put the tire into a skid
Old 11-07-05, 07:04 PM   #19
chazzyb

Start it and ride off, knocking off the choke as soon as you can. I find if I don't need to stop, the choke can be knocked off pretty much immediately. Treat it with respect for a couple of miles. I find my car's coolant gauge is up to normal temp. inside a mile - difficult to tell on the SV!
Old 13-07-05, 11:57 AM   #20
Peter Henry

ok so I am a bit of an impostor these days ...no longer having an SV anymore. But I have to say this start it and ride it talk has gone against what I have done ever since owning my first bike!
Ok here ambient temps are never really low and normally a little "vitamin stick" whilst putting gear on and off we go. But there is a lead in time before I normally ride her. There is also the fact that my digi temp gauge flashes it's present setting until optimum temp is reached, adding to what I thought was the right thing to do....dont ride until it's warmed through.

I guess also I have to bare in mind that to exit my garage I have to go about 20 metres up a 30º ramp then turn at right angles to go up another 20 metres of 30º ramp.Believe me you dont want a bike popping and farting when doing this!
All very interesting this thread.

BTW spoke to a guy that owns an MV F4,881 Ducati and a Foggy Rep Ducati at the weekend. Same as any bike he said things can go wrong if you are unlucky but the best thing to get the most out of your bike is change oil every 4k miles. His 881 has done 80'000km! Not bad for one of them there unreliable Duke's is it?