SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Suits Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 14-06-05, 01:56 AM   #1
madEG

Default joe rocket rio (mesh) jacket

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...112&division=1

Owned about 100 miles in 85-93F temps.

It was my intention to only use it when traffic is high as well as the temps, and use my leather jacket when I go out for a proper ride... but we'll see about that as it gets really hot & humid where I live. Perhaps now instead of bailing on the ride, I'll go out in this...

Price paid: $99

Product strengths: It is as functionally cool as riding in a T-Shirt. Even when stopped at lights, if there is any breeze, it blows right through the jacket. It has a zipper to connect pants in the lower back, and a zipper to add in a liner, which I guess I can nab from my blaster jacket for cooler night rides.

Product weaknesses: Some product design idiot added a cloth tab to the main zipper, which blows around at speed, and cannot be tucked away. I suspect this will be soon modified with scissors, and the offending tab finding its way into the trash. It reminds me of ice hockey jerseys materials and may get to smelling pretty bad after it gets more miles - hopefully I am wrong there...

I can't imagine that it is as safe as a leather jacket, as the mesh would almost assuredly melt to your skin in a long skid, and even the pads would (I suspect) shift around if you were to slide for long in the padded areas...

But... it is better than a T-shirt, for sure...
madEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-05, 08:48 AM   #2
Cloggsy

Looks cool
Old 14-06-05, 02:18 PM   #3
madEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggsy
Looks cool
The color is a near spot on match for my silver SK3 (if just a hair darker) which I figure some of us can appreciate.
madEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-05, 10:18 AM   #4
Ceri JC

I've got a Joe Rocket 'Alter Ego' jacket which is essentially one of those, with a removeable outer layer that zips onto it that adds wind/rain protection as well as making it more abraison resistant. It really is nice and cool in hot weather and the fact it has an integrated rucsac means you can remove the outer when you're out riding and it heats up and carry it round in the rucsac.

EDIT: Which is what I did this weekend. As cool as a t-shirt, but better abraison protection and much betterimpact protection as the armour is still in it.

Looking at Joe Rocket gloves on that site, anyone else think this is a really ill-advised product name?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...106&Division=1