SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-10, 09:08 AM   #1
Ijanric

Default 2010 SV650S exhaust advice - yet again.

Hey,

I have a faired 2010 650S and am beginning to get a little bored with the standard bazooka exhaust. It's not very loud (would like it louder for fun and also as an alert of my presence), and it's bloody HUGE! It's hard to avoid cuz of it's size and I've burnt myself on it a few times already. My girlfriend burnt herself on it just brushing past it.

I don't want to spend silly money, but I would like something a lot gruntier. Preferably with some 'popping' when you let off the throttle. I'm thinking a full system would be better than a slip-on but...

1. how easy are they to fit yourself?
2. are the benefits of a full system worth the considerable price increase?
3. which ones are recommended to compliment the V-Twin roar?
4. which will actually fit the 2010 model that I have?

It might be nice to have a listen to a few, and maybe ride pillion if anyone's willing to take me for a spin... *hint, hint* (Anyone near Oxfordshire, Berkshire that could oblige me?)

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Old 09-07-10, 09:13 AM   #2
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2010 SV650S exhaust advice

Full system would be of no use unless you get the bike dyno'd and set up to suit. From what you describe, just wanting better looks and noise, I'd go for a slip-on. Budget ones cost about £100-£150 and they are a doddle to fit if you can follow instructions and wield a hacksaw. Yes you do have to cut the old exhaust off.

Go for one with a removable baffle so you can pop the baffle back in for MOTs.

The Scorpion Street Extreme stubby seems pretty popular, although not exactly budget.
Old 09-07-10, 12:21 PM   #3
TazDaz

Get a slip-on Beowulf...all of the Beowulf models sound good to me.

1 - Easy to fit. An hour if you can weild a spanner. I recommend a pipe cutter as opposed to a hack saw.
2 - Depends who you ask, and if you think you really need a full system
3 - Beowulf
4 - I think any which are for K8 onwards will fit the 2010.
Old 09-07-10, 12:30 PM   #4
Tom_the_great

im currently looking at getting new exahust so far the beowulf CF stubby is top of the list,

but out of curisity what is the difference between full system and slip on ? if any?

Black Tinted Screen!, Evotech Tail Tidy!, OEM Rear Hugger!, R&G Crash Bungs!, Delkevic Exhuast!

Current Mileage = 3000 (Ish)
Tom_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 02:00 PM   #5
hongman

A full system will apparently give you a couple more bhp and better response if the bike is set up properly to take advantage of them.

A slip on is pretty much looks/noise.
Old 09-07-10, 06:06 PM   #6
Speedy
Mega Poster

If you have the money, get a decent full system. MUCH better quality, lighter, stays shiny for longer (if you look after it).

The only trouble is, if you don't get one that allows for the lambda probe to be fitted, you'll need to get the new system modified to accept it......like I had to on my Akra system.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 09:55 AM   #7
Ijanric

Thanks for the advice. I like the sound of the Beowulf, but the Scorpion sounds good, too. I managed to nab a Scorpion Street Extreme carbon stubby on ebay for £160 second hand. It came off an R1, but I'm guessing they're all the same, right? Looks like new and for less than half-price, seems like a bargain! It should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday, postman-depending.

Another question, though: I was reading on here about removing the cat at the same time and that it isn't necessary, but wouldn't it fail the MOT on some sort of emissions test? I was under the impression this is the case with cars. If so, could I remove it in such a way that I could refit it later? I have no issues with pulling the bugger out, but I want to be sure it won't invalidate the MOT come test time.

Ta
Old 10-07-10, 10:25 AM   #8
paiste

The can may well be the same. Do you happen to know the inlet diameter of the can? You will need the link pipe that is specific for your bike though.
Old 10-07-10, 10:50 AM   #9
Speedy
Mega Poster

If you're gonna cut the OE silencer off, you'll be removing the cat!

Bike emissions are not tested..............yet.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 09:26 PM   #10
darkdreamsgal

Ooooo I have a question - will it void the warranty?