SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-02-09, 05:02 PM   #1
squariegoes

Default Which pannier and tailpacks fit the SV650s?

Hello all. I'm taking a trip down to Europe in the summer and need soft luggage but am at a loss for which panniers to buy. Does anybody know which ones will fit the SV650s and which toppack is suitable?
Old 05-02-09, 05:04 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Which pannier and tailpacks fit the SV650s?

The Oxford Humpback ones work well.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 05:06 PM   #3
squariegoes

The humpbacks look good but I'm not sure if they have a large enough capacity. I'm looking to only use a tailpack and panniers, no tank bag. Anyone know if the Oxford First Time luggage is decent? Or the Oxford Sports?
Old 05-02-09, 05:12 PM   #4
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squariegoes View Post
The humpbacks look good but I'm not sure if they have a large enough capacity. I'm looking to only use a tailpack and panniers, no tank bag. Anyone know if the Oxford First Time luggage is decent? Or the Oxford Sports?
The Sports (assuming that is the new ones they do) seem to be even smaller than the Humpbacks.

The Humpback and Sports ones come with a lifetime guarantee - the First Time ones come with a year - go figure out what the quality must be like.

You can fit a full-face lid into the tailpack (or tankbag - they are essentially identical) of the Humpbacks.

Why no tank bag?

They are great, not just as luggage - but you can lean/lie on the a bit and it makes long distances on motorways a LOT more comfortable - as well as breaking the windblast a bit.

Old 05-02-09, 05:14 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

The Oxford stuff is pretty good, but its not waterproof and the rain covers are sh*te.

Have a look at the Kreiga range of tailpacks, they are waterproof and you can mix and match what they do as it all clips together... its not particularly cheap though.. but IMHO its well worh spending the money on it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-09, 05:18 PM   #6
squariegoes

I'm looking for a cheap solution. Basically I just want a set (panniers and tailpack) that will hold about 80 litres and won't take too long to fit and remove. A friend of mine bought a luggage set for his SV and he said he thought it would take him a good half hour to fit the luggage each day because of the panniers not being designed for the SVs shape.
Old 05-02-09, 05:30 PM   #7
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squariegoes View Post
I'm looking for a cheap solution. Basically I just want a set (panniers and tailpack) that will hold about 80 litres and won't take too long to fit and remove. A friend of mine bought a luggage set for his SV and he said he thought it would take him a good half hour to fit the luggage each day because of the panniers not being designed for the SVs shape.
I always put all 3 of the straps of the panniers under the seat - and rarely separated them - so just a case of seat off, panniers across, straighten up then put the seat on top (with the tailpack already attached)

Took maybe 5 mins if that.

Old 05-02-09, 06:32 PM   #8
rob13

Ive got a set of platinum Oxfordsports panniers which have never been out of the packet. I was after a set of humpbacks and bought the wrong ones. Never did get the humpbacks either. Might sell the sports ones.
Old 05-02-09, 06:39 PM   #9
arcdef

out of interest will any panniers fit if i have a high level can??
Old 05-02-09, 06:45 PM   #10
squariegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
Ive got a set of platinum Oxfordsports panniers which have never been out of the packet. I was after a set of humpbacks and bought the wrong ones. Never did get the humpbacks either. Might sell the sports ones.
How much would you be looking for the panniers? My email is below if you want to sell -

jonny_stewart15@hotmail.com