SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-11-18, 08:57 PM   #3521
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Inside my ears currently being tickled by R&G Custom Mouldable earplugs curing... fizzing and popping. Can't smile, talk, swallow, breathe while they set as it can affect the form they set in to.

* Ok, breathing is allowed.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 06:38 PM   #3522
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Inside my ears currently being tickled by R&G Custom Mouldable earplugs curing... fizzing and popping. Can't smile, talk, swallow, breathe while they set as it can affect the form they set in to.

I find riding naked SV with standard can and no fly screen, at legal speeds perfectly ok without earplugs. I think fairings do two things, they reflect engine noise up towards your head and also disturb the airflow round your head. Crash helmets are designed to be quiet with normal undisturbed airflow - I fitted an MRA screen to my AL7 and the noise level went up so much I had to wear earplugs, so the screen now on garage shelf, and to be honest not missing it ( except for no earplugs now, and can enjoy exhaust sound).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 07:21 PM   #3523
Chris_SVS

Quote:

Had a similar procedure recently myself, it was interesting to say the least. Just waiting on Ultimate Ear to produce and post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I find riding naked SV with standard can and no fly screen, at legal speeds perfectly ok without earplugs. I think fairings do two things, they reflect engine noise up towards your head and also disturb the airflow round your head. Crash helmets are designed to be quiet with normal undisturbed airflow - I fitted an MRA screen to my AL7 and the noise level went up so much I had to wear earplugs, so the screen now on garage shelf, and to be honest not missing it ( except for no earplugs now, and can enjoy exhaust sound).
Filtered ear plugs? As above I'm waiting on custom ones but currently still using Auritech Biker plugs, can hear everything I need to and less of the things I don't.. Still enough exhaust bleed

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 17-11-18 at 07:24 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 07:47 PM   #3524
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I have permanent tinnitus in my right ear. It's bad enough to live with already and it will never go away so I'm doing everything I can to avoid more of it.

I also find I get less tired and can concnetrate better on longer journeys with earplugs in.
Old 17-11-18, 08:10 PM   #3525
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I think fairings do two things, they reflect engine noise up towards your head and also disturb the airflow round your head

I'd be inclined to agree generally. Since doing the bar conversion and sitting more upright where you'd expect to be more exposed to wind, I've found it quieter. If I crouch back in to the position I used to be in with the clip-ons (which should be quieter as it's more behind the fairing), wind noise gets worse. Seems the fairing does direct a stream of air up at your head.

Not what I was expecting when I did the conversion. Higher up and more exposed is quieter!

The fairing does shield your abdomen and chest more when in the clip-on position though, which means less of a feeling you're being pushed back off the bike at motorway speeds. Also hands stay warmer with the narrower clip-ons. I'm now finding my hands are sitting out in the flow of the wind now with wider, higher bars and I've had to invest in some heated grips, which I've never needed before, even in the middle of winter.
Old 17-11-18, 08:43 PM   #3526
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
I have permanent tinnitus in my right ear. It's bad enough to live with already and it will never go away so I'm doing everything I can to avoid more of it.

I also find I get less tired and can concnetrate better on longer journeys with earplugs in.
Absolutely this but in both ears. I also have no desire to exacerbate the problem so earplugs it is, even for the shortest journeys.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 09:03 PM   #3527
Kenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Absolutely this but in both ears. I also have no desire to exacerbate the problem so earplugs it is, even for the shortest journeys.
I have it permanent in both ears. Had it for as long as I can remember. I really should wear ear plugs while riding though. There is a video on YouTube that cancels out the noise and provides some relief.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 09:48 PM   #3528
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Friend who has it really badly wears white noise generating hearing aids that cancel it out slightly. His is a high pitched inconsistent squeal though. I'm quite glad mine is a relatively gentle consistent note. Not great, but could be worse.
I notice it most when things are quiet. Stops me sleeping sometimes. I did look into the noise generating pillows that help to cancel it out. Then had a family which exhausts me enough to collapse into sleep most nights.
Old 17-11-18, 09:58 PM   #3529
Kenzie

I can sleep no problem, but now we are talking about it it's more noticeable. Mine is a constant high pitched hiss. The video I listen to is a shower running as the tone pretty much matches what I hear. I have been reading about Notch therapy but not dug too deep into it.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 09:59 PM   #3530
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Back on track with a smile for the day...
Brilliant off road MTB ride this morning with my dog. Finding some good tracks along the Malvern Hills where I grew up. Nice to be back exploring areas I took for granted (and often hated through boredom) as a kid and enjoying them with the dog running along loving it too.