SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-06-09, 05:52 PM   #1
tommyboy

Default sv650 '07 restrictor

hello everyone, as you can see, im new to this forum.

jus a quick Q...

im planning to buy an SV650 '07 plate this week, but as im 17, i need it restricted.
ive been to a good 4/5 dealers and they can get 2 types of restrictor, the official suzuki ECU restrictor (£340ish) or the FI international throttle stop/intake washer type things (£150ish).
obviously i want the cheaper option, but say if i had the throttle stop put on it, would that limit the revs? as the revs and position of the throttle are directly linked right? therefore id never be able to fully use all of the rev range, and it would do my nut for the next 2 years .
i really hope im wrong....
Old 14-06-09, 06:04 PM   #2
Sally

Default Re: sv650 '07 restrictor

Look at the forum for a second hand ECU, go for around £50.
Don't get the FI international kit, waste of money.

Buy a s/h ecu off here, fit it you'reself, away we go!

Its only plug in plug out to swap ECU's.
Old 14-06-09, 06:23 PM   #3
tommyboy

i appreciate that's cheaper, but i wont get a certificate with it will i?

also ive read that intake washers affect the richness of the fuel or something? making the mpg alot lower? is that true for all SV's with them?
Old 14-06-09, 06:42 PM   #4
Sally

My FI International restriction used more fuel than the ECU restriction.
You don't need a certificate with most insurers, if they do ask, which not alot do, just get a dyno print out.
The certificate is a ploy by FI International to make you think you have a DSA/DVLA approved document for proof of restriction, which it isn't.
Am sure other will come along to bash FI International namely YC.
Old 14-06-09, 08:44 PM   #5
tommyboy

thank you very much. but id still like to know if a throttle stop limits revs...
Old 14-06-09, 08:50 PM   #6
Sally

No it doesn't, it reduces the amount of travel you're throttle has.
The FI international kit consists of 2 airbox washers and a throttle stop as you mentioned before.
The restricted ecu only replaces the full power ecu, which is the best option if you can find one.
Good luck with that, keep checking the for sale section..
Old 14-06-09, 08:59 PM   #7
tommyboy

'No it doesn't, it reduces the amount of travel you're throttle has.'
sorry i may have cocked up my explanation, but i know itll reduce the travel, but say the throttle was opened half way, the bike would only rev half way up the rev range right? so if the throttle's travel was limited, would it be unable to reach higher revs in all gears?

sorry
Old 14-06-09, 09:01 PM   #8
Sally

The throttle stop doesnt stop the bike revving out.
Obviously it won't rev out in the higher gear(s) because there isn't enough power to achieve top speed.
You need someone to explain why it doesn't limit revs, but I can tell you it doesn't limit revs.
I notice minimal difference between the ecu and FI kit, with no noticeable peformance changes.
Neither accelerates faster, etc.
So my advice, go for the ECU option, but buy s/h from here and fit it you'reself.

Last edited by Sally; 14-06-09 at 09:02 PM.
Old 14-06-09, 09:03 PM   #9
Jamiebridges123

had a throttle stop restriction on my z750, was a PITA.. a full travel throttle with 33bhp limited ECU would be better..

just look on here/ebay for a K7+ 33BHP ECU, one will pop up for around £70.. maybe less if you get lucky..
Old 14-06-09, 09:04 PM   #10
tommyboy

oh ok, thank you very much

i think il jus get the bike restricted when i buy the bike from the dealer, and get it included in the price. jus need to buy the damn thing now.