SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-09, 06:06 PM   #1
Cash

Default Tachometer is down after CDI and battery died

Hi.

First and foremost, I'm a newb here, so some background.

First and previous bike was a GS500, traded it for my current SV650. Riding for 3 years, 2 spent on my curvy 2002... 2 years with a stupid happy grin on your face may eventually leave some sort of permanent marking, so she though I should chill out and stop riding for 2 weeks (I ride around 350 days a year, give or take... portuguese weather's more complacent than UK's, I guess).

In any case, on one of the hoottest days of the year I set out for a 300km ride and about 100km in, I stopped for gas and the SV wouldn't start. Immediate guess was the battery, but I thought I could finish the trip and replace it later. About 50km later, the tachometer dies. A while later, the velocymeter starts spinning like a fan, going between 0 and 240+ like crazy. Odometer starts blinking and the bike dies. Homo on a toé truck it is.

After testing the battery (pairing it with another), bike won't start. Bought new battery, ordered a CDI off ebay (from the UK, of course... glad the bike's popular there, over here there are something like under 100 SVs), put it in and bike's runnig again.

Lights are blown, probably a rectifier problem. Voltimeter indicates rectifier's ok... I'm suspicious. Gonna install one off an R1 later.

Still, tachometer's dead. Everything else works, the engine runs great (almost seems faster too... guess being a cager for a couple of weeks skewers your perception), but I can't know how many rpm's it running...

Need help as to where to start troubleshooting. Am I gonna have to replace it? Is there a fuse somewhere other than the fuse box (all fuses there are fine) or something? A bad connection?

So... any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 27-08-09, 07:20 PM   #2
warrenhewitt10

Default Re: Tachometer is down after CDI and battery died

the tachometer runs of the front cylinder ignition coil in a curvy, but as you said it seems to be running ok i doupt its broken, but it would be a good place to start your search for problems