SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-03-22, 08:14 AM   #10561
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Perhaps rather than wasting money on willy-waving, mind-bogglingly over-budget, environmentally destructive projects like HS2, the money would be better invested in providing for some redundancy in the existing rail network.

Damage to the overhead cables just outside New Street in Birmingham has meant cancellation of almost all services between there and Shrewsbury and the few remaining trains backed up with nowhere to go or running at least half an hour late.

Grrrr.....
I was wondering how the cables were damaged. A fallen tree maybe.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 30-03-22, 09:04 AM   #10562
Grant66

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Perhaps rather than wasting money on willy-waving, mind-bogglingly over-budget, environmentally destructive projects like HS2, the money would be better invested in providing for some redundancy in the existing rail network.

Damage to the overhead cables just outside New Street in Birmingham has meant cancellation of almost all services between there and Shrewsbury and the few remaining trains backed up with nowhere to go or running at least half an hour late.

Grrrr.....
The early announcements said there was a bridge collapse, later it changed to problems with overhead electric cabling.

New St was absolute chaos yesterday. 4 trains worth of people squeezed into platform 7 with conflicting information from staff, announcers and info boards.
The train stranded at the station was either going to Walsall or B'ham airport it was unclear which was correct.
My train was waiting for the current train to depart, the info board showing its arrival time undating by a minute every minute. There was announcement saying a different platform, the staff said the announcement was wrong (it wasn't).

You'd think that with the frequency of problems they would, at least, have a system in place to inform their customers on what the frack was going on.

On the plus side the trip was free after being 34 minutes late and met some nice people who you normally wouldn't talk to. Like a 12 year old who had an encyclopedic knowledge of the rail network around Birmingham and was a lot more accurate about the likely outcome than any of the staff.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-22, 10:59 AM   #10563
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
...a 12 year old who had an encyclopedic knowledge of the rail network around Birmingham and was a lot more accurate about the likely outcome than any of the staff.

That's amazing.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-22, 11:03 AM   #10564
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

My gripe. Recently aquired a bike that in my recent financial situation I could afford to own. Obviously lost a lot of work and now have to be realsitic and let it go. Only there's not a sniff of interest in it apart from two low offers. One from a dealer, so I know I have some security passing it on. But adding insult to injury and losing a lot of money on a bike in a few weeks the same time as being hit with loss of work is really stinging.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-22, 11:14 AM   #10565
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
My gripe. Recently aquired a bike that in my recent financial situation I could afford to own. Obviously lost a lot of work and now have to be realsitic and let it go. Only there's not a sniff of interest in it apart from two low offers. One from a dealer, so I know I have some security passing it on. But adding insult to injury and losing a lot of money on a bike in a few weeks the same time as being hit with loss of work is really stinging.
Which bike was that Adam. Maybe someone on here might be interested?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 30-03-22, 12:08 PM   #10566
embee
Mega Poster

Sorry to hear your news Adam. Times are getting tough and about to get a lot worse I'm afraid. I suspect it won't be a good time to sell big ticket price items generally.
I managed (by chance/luck) last Sept to get a fixed energy contract until October this year. When I come off that and get the next increase on top of the April one it'll be a huge hit, probably doubling, not looking forward to that.
Old 31-03-22, 12:22 PM   #10567
shiftin_gear98

My fixed contract runs out today.
Last year approx £1200 for both Gas and Elec. Guestimate for the coming year, £3000.
What the ****. Having had to take a massive pay cut to swap career paths it's not going to be all that rosie.

Oh and VAT is going back to 20% too. Joy.
Still at least I am now doing what I want to do.
Old 31-03-22, 01:18 PM   #10568
embee
Mega Poster

The scammers seem to be out taking advantage of the rush to submit meter readings. Got a text supposedly from my supplier for readings, never had a text from them before, I'm on a fixed tariff so don't need to give a reading now, and a google of the number shows it's a scam. Scum are everywhere.

Edit - deleted the first text, then got another saying we sent you a text from our other number (??) and we've swapped over so you can now safely reply to the first text.
Really? It's not April 1st until tomorrow. Try again.

Last edited by embee; 31-03-22 at 01:36 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-22, 03:13 PM   #10569
svenrico

I can't get through to eon to give my meter readings.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-22, 03:18 PM   #10570
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
My fixed contract runs out today.
Last year approx £1200 for both Gas and Elec. Guestimate for the coming year, £3000.
What the ****. Having had to take a massive pay cut to swap career paths it's not going to be all that rosie.

Oh and VAT is going back to 20% too. Joy.
Still at least I am now doing what I want to do.
My fixed eon contract is £1013 for gas and elect now. eon fixed v13 quoted as £2580 for next year which is 155% increase. Trying to go for for eon next flex direct debit estimated at £1877 for year but can't get through to eon.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote