SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-04-08, 07:56 PM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default Anybody lived in or around Haarlem, Holland before?

If so what is it like, any areas that are good to live in? Is it an expensive place?

Any biking roads near by?

Good night life/bars?

What's the nearest race track?

I've got an inkling I may be heading off there with work in the Autumn and just want to prepare myself. Somehow I think that the mountain biking is going to decrease in frequency...
Old 06-08-08, 07:47 PM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Anybody lived in or around Haarlem, Holland before?

Well, it's confirmed I'm off to Haarlem, start date 1st October, with a little commuting over the North Sea before then.

The SV will soon be on the market, as will the scooby if anyone's interested.

I'm bracing myself for buying a bike and car at vastly exorbitant dutch prices, their second hand vehicle values are ridiculous!!

Plus point, I'll be nearer the Nurburgring and buying a year's pass

Minus point, I don't think there are many interesting roads around Haarlem, and the mountain biking will be going out the window
Old 06-08-08, 08:17 PM   #3
rob13

So you're finally off then Tim? How much are you thinking of selling the Scooby for? We will have to have a leaving do for you before you go.

Are you gonna get the 675 then? Why dont you just buy the bike over here and get Dutch plates on it over there?
Old 06-08-08, 08:22 PM   #4
Tim in Belgium

Import tax! Need to own a 2nd hand vehicle for 6mths, a new one for 12 mths before avoiding some horrific tax.

675 is likely, although could be GSXR 750, as there are more over there so cheaper, a little undecided, depends what turns up next spring when I've saved up my readies.

I'll let the 280bhp Scooby (with Bilstein suspension fitted as standard) go for about 2.5k.

I'll be having a farewell BBQ later on if any of the massive want to attend, and might have a last blast ride out on the SV.
Old 06-08-08, 08:29 PM   #5
rob13

Well next spring should be when I get my next bike so you can keep me informed.

Im having a right old job trying to shift the Mazda on at the moment so unless that goes i cant get anything else. How many MPG with a light foot in the Scooby?

Let me know when the BBQ is planned, ill be there. We shall have to sort out some kind of meet/rideout before the weather turns.
Old 06-08-08, 08:35 PM   #6
Tim in Belgium

26, 27 max, and that's light footed, or motorway cruising at 80-90.

Swift footed gives 23-25 (minimal treble figure speeds, sitting at 75 on country roads, 85 on dual carriage ways , relaxed overtaking).

Flooring it gives sub 20 (but this is treble figure speeds, out accelerating an SV above 85-90).

being 4wd you can floor it in winter and the damp making it super fun!
Old 06-08-08, 08:56 PM   #7
rob13

I really fancy something that can lug stuff around (Bike/Camping gear) but fear that 280bhp might be just a little too thirsty for my tastes Tim
Old 06-08-08, 09:18 PM   #8
Tim in Belgium

Only the brave take on 280 bhp

It's an ideal sports/utility car, it does both, if you want something to do one or the other there are plenty of other options, but it's always fun to race a 911 with a mountain bike AND surf board in the boot
Old 06-08-08, 09:26 PM   #9
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
I'll be having a farewell BBQ later on
Count on Mr + Mrs WRC being there.
Old 07-08-08, 10:35 AM   #10
grh1904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Import tax! Need to own a 2nd hand vehicle for 6mths, a new one for 12 mths before avoiding some horrific tax.

I'll be having a farewell BBQ later on if any of the massive want to attend, and might have a last blast ride out on the SV.
Is that Dutch import tax, just when I was stationed in Germany with the good ole RAF, peeps used to buy cars here and export them, meant you got your car VAT free.

I was done on new cars and some used (depending on age etc), but that was late 80's, early 90's.

Yes, where, when ??????