SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-02-09, 09:28 AM   #1
Magnum

Default How much experience is needed to take a pillion passenger?

After passing my test and getting my bike, i would obviously not go straight into taking pillion passengers, but after a bit of experience i probably will.
How much different is it riding with a passenger? How much riding experience is neccessary to ride safely with a passenger?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-09, 09:32 AM   #2
Miles

Default Re: How much experience is needed to take a pillion passenger?

Make sure you can ride safely, and that your not wobbling at low speeds etc.

I took my misses out after a week. Felt fine.

Having a pillion a low speed makes it a bit more unstable, so you if you're wobbling at low speed on your own probably not best to take a pillion as it will only make it worse.

Once up to speed, riding sensibly or just following the car in front, its no different really.

Make sure you pillion is well trained though, as that can be the difference between you both enjoying yourself or neither of you.
Old 09-02-09, 09:34 AM   #3
Magnum

OK thanks. What exactly does the pillion have to do? Does your wife hold the grab rail or onto you? (i hate the idea of using a grab rail, i tried one on a jetski and it felt so unstable)
Old 09-02-09, 09:40 AM   #4
Miles

Whatever suits you both. Grab rails can take a bit of getting used to, so probably best if she grips your sides.

You need to avoid sharp accelleration and braking so you both gradually learn what's going to happen.

Assuming you've not done any training yet, and are going to, I'm sure your trainer will run through the basics with you.
Old 09-02-09, 09:40 AM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

When you're confident enough to take one really. As said above slow speeds are even wobblier 2 up so you need to be a stable rider.

I don't mind them holding onto me, if I was a pillion I wouldn't be able to hold onto the rail.
Old 09-02-09, 09:41 AM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
You need to avoid sharp accelleration and braking so you both gradually learn what's going to happen.
That's a very good point
Old 09-02-09, 09:42 AM   #7
DeeHawk

She should hold on to both you and the rail. One grip for acceleration, and one for braking. Also she should never fight the centrifugal force when turning. That's means that she should relax and follow the angle of the bike. And NEVER move around on the seat unless at fair speed going straight forward.
That should sum up the most important stuff.

I started having pillion right away. But then again, I've driven mopeds with several passengers since i was 13.
Old 09-02-09, 09:44 AM   #8
Magnum

Thanks for the advice.
I have just one more question. Say you want to go and pick someone up form their house, they would obviously need some protection. Do people normally carry a jacket in a topbox for this? And is there a way of securing a helmet to a bit when i top box is being used?
Old 09-02-09, 09:46 AM   #9
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

grab rail gives a better resistance to moving about

unless the pillion knows what they're doing it's better to tell them to sit like a sack of potatoes and do nothing, and absolutely never lean out of a turn

other than that it's just about working out a communication method, i usually say "jab in the left kidney for slow down, stop or a negatiove response, jab in the right for go faster, ready to go or positive response"

take it easy when riding, especially if your pillion is new, ride like you would in the rain, slow down and speed up gradually, if you open the throttle sharply and your pillion isn't ready it's not unheard of for them to simply slide off the back

oh, and asking a bloke to grasp you tightly with his thighs isn't gay when he's going pillion...

is it???
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 09:51 AM   #10
DeeHawk

If I'm picking someone up, I'll carry a jacket and gloves in my tank bag. If we're going for a longer ride, I'll pack some pants too. I'll secure an extra helmet on my arm, which is NOT preferable, as it is dangerous in case of an off. I've seen you can get som luggage nets to secure helmets to your back seat, though.