SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-02-11, 09:29 PM   #1
ultimate

Default DAS course recommendation for beginner

Hi all,

I posted on here years ago but have still not got a bike, however my commute to work and parking situation has changed and a bike will now save me a fair bit of money. I intend to keep a car for bad weather.

I have held a full car licence for 10 years but have no experience on a bike so appreciate the 10 years on the road holds little benefit when on a bike, so i am after some advice as what course would be best.

Have done bit of research and DAS would appear to be appropriate for me (28yrs old). Which length of course would be most suitable?
Any tips from going from car to bike? Can anyone recommend any training companies in Surrey?

Cheers
Old 25-02-11, 09:34 PM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: DAS course recommendation for beginner

You could do a standard licence, don't really need more than 33bhp (can still ride an sv/anything, just it's restricted for two years) for a commute - would save you a few bob.
Old 26-02-11, 08:33 PM   #3
dan9878

Agree with the above, if you wanted to work your way up, get a 125 do the C.B.T and practice a bit. For a novice the DAS course is usually five days with the C.B.T on day one.
dan9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-11, 08:35 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

you can also do a couple/few days intensive then go with the standard test (if you're wanting a big bike immediately), this is also cheaper than DAS but a lot of schools try not to let you know about this option!££
Old 27-02-11, 08:54 AM   #5
brennan

Id drove for 3years before passing my DAS. I had a four day course. But realistically it was only 2 as we had training on monday, mod1 tues morning, training wednesday, mod2 thurs morn. It all depends how confident you would feel about getting on a bike.
Old 27-02-11, 12:24 PM   #6
hongman

Cant really recommend on what course is suitable as we don't know you or your competancy on a bike. I'd suggest setting aside time for a 5 day-er, and then go from there - your training school should be able to judge how many lessons you need.

Having driven for any amount of time WILL help on a bike. You can antipicate better what other car drivers are likely to do, as you will have done it yourself in the past.

Good luck anyways. Riding is so much more involved and fun than driving.

You will obviously already know basic roadcraft also (silly things like what lane you should be in, road signs, give way etc) which will save some time.

When I did my CBT way back, I did it with a bunch of older people who already drove. The instructer didnt go through anything and I (having not drove/rode on the road before) made some silly mistakes!
Old 27-02-11, 02:48 PM   #7
Woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate View Post
no experience on a bike so appreciate the 10 years on the road holds little benefit when on a bike
On the contrary. Because of your ten years in a car, you (should) already know the rules of the road and have developed your judgement. This is the part of learning to drive which takes the longest. Learning to work the vehicle is pretty simple in comparison.

Like you, I learned after ten years of driving and did a four day course - CBT on Sunday morning, test on Wednesday afternoon. Although I had ridden bikes in fields when I was younger so I already knew where everything was and what everything did.
Old 27-02-11, 03:13 PM   #8
beabert

You could just do your cbt and not do a test. A 125 will see you to 60/70mph. 100mpg. Its alot cheaper, i miss it in some ways.

The downsides L plate, not motorways, no pillion and Retake cbt every 2 years.
Old 27-02-11, 05:42 PM   #9
Nostrils

I turned to motorcycling because of the exact same reason. Work would only allow 4 day parking and public transport was not an option. I decided to take my CBT (1 weekend only) and previously only ever been on a bike once or twice and all for about 1/2 a mile in total. The school first put me on a scooter to see if I could actually balance, then immediately on a geared 125 for the same and said I was capable enough. 2 days later, much sweat and nervous excitement, I passed.

No sooner had I passed my CBT and rode a 125 to work did I realise that I wanted more speed and to be safer but decided to stick it out for about a year and also had a BikeSafe day at the Ace. I then took my DAS, 4 days course. First the school had to iron out the bad habits and then the hard work started on the 500cc. I am sure I am not the only one who thought the bigger bike was easier to manoevre at low speed than the 125, but it was and despite the rain and the floods on test day, I passed. (old system, not the new system!)

Good Luck with whatever you choose.
Old 27-02-11, 05:55 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Do the DAS, looking for sub 33bhp bikes makes it a pain in the tits. And when you've had 33bhp you'll want a proper bike almost immediately.

Do your CBT first and ask your instructor what length of course they recommend. Impossible for us lot to say, you may be wobbling like owt or take to it like a fish to water.