SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-01-06, 03:28 PM   #1
thor

Default Suggestions for Alarm LED placement (K4S)

Hiya,

My alarm LED was fitted to my snow shovel so when that got replaced I didn't fit it anywhere else. Is there a good spot where I don't have to drill anything too costly?

Thanks in advance,

John
Old 03-01-06, 03:35 PM   #2
SVeeedy Gonzales

the LED for my datatool 3 is in the left hand plastic panel under the front seat. You can have the whole panel off quickly with an allen key and it's thin, soft plastic. Not too far to run cables from the alarm to it, either. Mine's also a K4S.
Old 03-01-06, 03:42 PM   #3
thor

Hmm, I thought about that but then was worried that my leg may catch on it. Is it secure there?
Old 03-01-06, 03:48 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Hmm, I thought about that but then was worried that my leg may catch on it. Is it secure there?
Thor dude...its an LED that sticks out about 5 mm max. You aint gonna catch your leg on it.

Sid squids LED is mounted in his speedo and is very very bright!!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 03:55 PM   #5
thor

Sure, I understand that, but the pins on mine look very fragile. Any kind of wiggling and they will snap off quickly. I know that I could re-enforce with some hot glue or whatever else but I wanted something a little more prominent for thieves (and those irritating vespa riders in the bike bays) to see from both sides of the bike.
Old 03-01-06, 05:05 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Sure, I understand that, but the pins on mine look very fragile. Any kind of wiggling and they will snap off quickly. I know that I could re-enforce with some hot glue or whatever else but I wanted something a little more prominent for thieves (and those irritating vespa riders in the bike bays) to see from both sides of the bike.
Its not gonna happen.

At the end of the day, and this is from experience, it dont matter if you have 500 flashing LED's it will not deter the bike thief. as for the wires of the LED, if they brake, its only about 40p for a new LED so not a huge expense.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 05:38 PM   #7
Noufy

Mine (K4S) is on the plastic thing under the seat too, no probs whatsoever. I saw one just behind teh Pillion seat, it did look nice buit doies mean driling the fairing.
Old 03-01-06, 07:16 PM   #8
rigor

Mines mounted between the tail lights at the top. Looks quite good there i think, although it could be a pain to mount (Mine came fitted there from the previous owner) I can take a pic if you want.
Old 03-01-06, 08:17 PM   #9
ophic
Mega Poster

mine is in the fairing under the left handlebar. It looks ok but the wires have snapped off before and i got it replaced under warranty. I think they became brittle as its not the most weatherproof of locations.

My dad's SV1000 has it mounted in the removeable triangular panels used to access the headlight bulbs. Seems like a better place for it.
Old 03-01-06, 09:01 PM   #10
cb9002

Mine's drilled into the brake light reflector.