SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-09-17, 04:03 PM   #11
DryRob

Default Re: 2006 SV650 - What immediate work needs doing?

What did you end up doing then?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
DryRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 09:26 AM   #12
korre

Hi DryRob,

I am happy to say that I am the proud owner of an SV650S. I bought the 2006 with 3000 miles last Saturday and took the mechanic from my DAS provider with me. He gave it a good checking over and said that the chain needs adjusting as it is a bit slack and that he advises fluid changes. Much like you guys, he was of the opinion that none of this was urgent, although maybe the chain was a higher priority. Issue is I am waiting for an Abba stand to come up on eBay near me so I can do this myself.

I took it out for the first time last night, just a 30 minute ride to get used to it and loved it! Currently getting used to the gears as it doesn't like to be in low gear when cruising around. E.g. if I am in gear 3 doing 40mph and release the throttle it will engine brake - I'm learning to release the throttle slower. This is slightly different to the MT-07 I learnt on which didn't mind cruising around in low gears and barely engine braked (not sure that's a real word/term).

Once I winter the bike I will change the oil, oil filter, air filter and coolant myself. Will probably check the sparks to see what condition they're in and also tighten the chain. I will likely pay someone to do the brake fluid as I don't back myself to do this correctly and it's a vital component of the bike!
Old 12-09-17, 09:29 AM   #13
korre

Some photos.

Can someone tell me what the black thing in photo 4 is? It looks like a radiator, but not sure if the radiator is the rectangle thing in picture 5 near the front tyre.

Yes I need a manual...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (127.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg s-l16004.jpg (126.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg s-l16002.jpg (125.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (28.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg s-l16003.jpg (120.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by korre; 12-09-17 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-09-17, 09:41 AM   #14
glang

Hi, nice looking bike! That pic shows your oil cooling radiator. These models have a water radiator, the larger item you see in pic 5, and an oil cooler. Both should be kept fairly clean as muck can fly up from the front wheel and obviously reduce their effectiveness.
And yes V twins, as you have found, have more engine braking than some other bikes. Not everybody like this and it does take some getting used to but once incorporated into your riding style can be very enjoyable....

Last edited by glang; 12-09-17 at 09:43 AM.
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 10:21 AM   #15
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

If you are going to,"Winterize" then read here,

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACF-50-Mot...IAAOSwdjNZCEQT

but if at all possible still take the bike out once a month for a run.Engines and Electrics like to be used.

Also I add some Redx fuel treatment(Asda or Wilkos sell it) to my fuel.As I often work away for periods it helps prevent the fuel from going stale as well as keep the fuel system clean.

I also keep my SV on a Battery Tender,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Oxi...gAAOSw~OdVVjk7

as I've fitted a fused SAE connector to my battery so can just plug it in when needed.It tucks up under the rear fairing,

Also I totally agree with the,"Engine Braking" and once added to your skills,especially on cornering,is an absolute joy

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 12-09-17 at 10:35 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 01:12 PM   #16
andy650

Don't wait to do the chain, you don't need a stand to do it.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 01:22 PM   #17
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Nice bike.You can check the chain yourself and no abba stand required.Make sure there is at least 3cm up and down slack in the middle of the lower chain run.That bit just behind the footrest in pic 5.Dont be tempted to overtighten it.Too much slack is better than too little.It needs a bit of oil on it at all times or it gets dry and will quickly wear out.
Practice checking the engine oil level.Hold it upright and work out a way of looking at the level in the sight glass.Get in the habit of checking that regularly.Some SVs use a bit and running low will destroy the engine.££££Ouch.Other than that just ride it and enjoy.
Old 12-09-17, 01:22 PM   #18
Chris_SVS

Ahh another Euclase Silver K6

If you happen to need touchup paint give me a shout

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 12-09-17 at 01:29 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 02:24 PM   #19
korre

Thanks all for the helpful responses as per usual.

glang - thanks for the anatomy lesson, it's been bugging me for a while not knowing what it is!

R1ffR4aff - thank you for the wintering advice, I have read other 'how to winter' guides and ACF50 seems to be mentioned every time. My question is, is it sticky/slippy and transfers to your clothes? People recommend spraying the whole bike and I find it hard to believe it doesn't go on you when riding it. Also, guess it needs reapplying after every ride? Is it bad to just remove the battery over winter, that is what I planned to do.

Andy650/Biker Biggles- I guess I had better adjust my chain sharpish. My thoughts were that when you adjust those bolts at the back it must be moving the rear tyre to tighten the chain, therefore, the tyre would need to be off the floor so it can move. Also what's your method to ensure the rear wheels are really aligned, I don't think I should trust the markers on the plate and have seen YouTube videos where they measure the distance between sprocket nuts.

Chris_SVS - love the colour! at the moment the paintwork is in good condition. Fingers crossed it stays that way!
Old 12-09-17, 05:43 PM   #20
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Put ACF50 on with a cloth. You don't need a lot. Spray a little on to an area and then use the cloth to wipe it on/spread it. It works everywhere - metalwork and plastics although you are well advised to keep it away from the brake discs otherwise you may be in for a nasty shock when you try to stop.
Generally if you are going to ride the bike over the winter I'd advise giving it a thorough clean and then use the ACF50 on it. No need to keep reapplying it, if the bike gets particularly dirty just rinse it down with cold water so any salt doesn't become activated by the heat of warm water. You can always give it the odd reapplication over the winter just to keep the protection levels up, and then in spring, give it another good clean.
Make sure any areas of broken paint get a good treatment, it's a very good rust neutraliser/inhibitor.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote