SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-01-19, 08:43 PM   #6961
zsv650s

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Icy weather don't fancy binning the svthou so getting serious motorcycle withdrawal
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 07:48 AM   #6962
shiftin_gear98

Bloody cold on the bike this morning. When they say freezing fog they aren't ****ing about.

Quite interesting when the inside and outside of your visor simultaneously freeze up whilst travelling at 70 on an unlit duel carriageway with no tail lights visible through the soup.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 09:07 AM   #6963
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Bloody cold on the bike this morning. When they say freezing fog they aren't ****ing about.

Quite interesting when the inside and outside of your visor simultaneously freeze up whilst travelling at 70 on an unlit duel carriageway with no tail lights visible through the soup.
I once drove from Edinburgh to Felixstowe in freezing fog the whole journey, my washer jets froze up, even with neat washer fluid and by the time we got home there was an inch of ice on my wing mirrors. That was an interesting journey in the car, we considered stopping in hotel overnight it was that bad. I wouldn't have attempted it on the bike
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 11:31 AM   #6964
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
I once drove from Edinburgh to Felixstowe in freezing fog the whole journey, my washer jets froze up, even with neat washer fluid and by the time we got home there was an inch of ice on my wing mirrors. That was an interesting journey in the car, we considered stopping in hotel overnight it was that bad. I wouldn't have attempted it on the bike
madman

i have never understood why they dont wrap a heating wire round the washer jet hoses with a thermostatic switch.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 11:54 AM   #6965
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
madman

i have never understood why they dont wrap a heating wire round the washer jet hoses with a thermostatic switch.
I've got a 17 plate C-max and the windscreen washer froze up on that the other day. I had a quick look under the bonnet and found that there are electrical connections to the jets! I assume that they're heaters. My problem was further downstream nearer the tank. I just let it thaw by itself.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 31-01-19, 03:30 PM   #6966
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I've got a 17 plate C-max and the windscreen washer froze up on that the other day. I had a quick look under the bonnet and found that there are electrical connections to the jets! I assume that they're heaters. My problem was further downstream nearer the tank. I just let it thaw by itself.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
They have my connect has got the same system. Mine was a case of the water freezing out of the mix. Dumped a load of near neat in this morning to fix it

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 03:48 PM   #6967
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
madman

Indeed, and that was my old Saab 900, so you'd have thought they'd have fitted some kind of heater, although it may had had something, and I never knew about it?

It was over 20 years ago & I wasn't as mechanically aware as I am now, although I only know a little bit more than I did then
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 04:10 PM   #6968
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I use the Comma X-treme -26C in cars, don't even bother with anything less than -15 as it will freeze at just below zero. The methanol evaporates off and then it freezes.

You can add Methylated spirits to screenwash which does a good job.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 04:19 PM   #6969
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
They do. I have heated washer nozzles on this car and previous one. Never had a problem with iced up washer jets with them.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 04:41 PM   #6970
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Funnily enough the jets were the one thing that wasn't frozen on my van this morning. Getting in the doors was the problem though. All frozen solid and the locks too. My friend used to work for Nissan and said this time of year they were constantly replacing door handles where people had pulled them off trying to open frozen doors.

I usually have to climb in through the back of my van and kick the doors open from the inside.

Had the heaters on full all day today and was still cold driving. Usually it gets too hot pretty quickly. It has nothing fancy at all, no turbo, manual windows etc, but the one things that's always been great on it is the heat you get out of the engine fairly fast after start up.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote