SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-02-19, 01:20 PM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650 Oil Lines

personally i consider bikes of that age/cost and mileage to be throw away items. use it, break it, buy another. its never going to be an investment and will still be worth £4-600 if your lucky so any money you put into it is never going to be recovered.
Bibio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-19, 01:39 PM   #12
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
personally i consider bikes of that age/cost and mileage to be throw away items. use it, break it, buy another. its never going to be an investment and will still be worth £4-600 if your lucky so any money you put into it is never going to be recovered.
I think that was my point. I probably could have just ridden the bike for a year or two (it came with 11 months MoT) without spending anything, but I'd have felt a bit silly if I'd have died because of the worn out brakes, or if the engine blew up because of the lack of a £40 radiator or £60 worth of oil pipes.

I quite like these bikes, both fiddling around fixing them on a low budget and riding them. I'll enjoy this one for a while - until something expensive fails - then break it up for spares.

Alan
Old 19-02-19, 01:44 PM   #13
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

F**k riding around with an oil line you half expect to pop any minute
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-19, 03:11 PM   #14
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
F**k riding around with an oil line you half expect to pop any minute
... and there was me worrying about the brakes!

Old 21-02-19, 09:38 AM   #15
Othen

... one can never have enough guns or motorcycles:

Old 21-02-19, 04:41 PM   #16
Othen

... this brings another thread to an end - the replacement oil lines from JHS Racing arrived in the mail today, that was the final component I needed so I got this job finished this afternoon.

When I drained the oil I found there was no copper washer under the drain plug. Sometimes I wonder why people cut such corners for the sake of a few pence (it is fitted properly now).

Here is the before photo: the oil lines had been off the bike previously (maybe many years ago) - some of the sealing washers were missing and everything was done up a little bit too tightly.

The kit from JHS is much simpler than the original Suzuki equipment - but I think that is an improvement. It went together reasonably easily but not quite as slickly as I had expected. I had to bend the two aluminium guides on the bottom of the oil cooler out of the way to get enough clearance:

I took the opportunity to fit another oil cooler I'd acquired (a fiver on an Ebay auction - too good to pass by) and cleaned up. It came out really well with a coat of Poundland black paint and had the little bracket that the mesh cover screws onto still attached (it had parted company on the old one). The new kit certainly looks the part, and should last many years:

I finished changing the oil and filter and ran the bike up on a stand - everything seems fine.

Here is the old oil cooler and pipes. I can't find anything wrong with them and in slow time may clean them up in case they are of use to anyone. I think the missing sealing washers were probably responsible for any oil misting that may have appeared in the past - although that part of the engine was so covered in road crud that it was difficult to tell.

... another job done.

Alan
Old 21-02-19, 05:01 PM   #17
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Good job. Those lines look nice and beefy
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 05:41 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

i hope thats not car oil your using in the bike....
Bibio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 06:29 PM   #19
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i hope thats not car oil your using in the bike....
Absolutely it is!

Old 21-02-19, 07:16 PM   #20
maviczap
Mega Poster

Now clean and polish that downpipe
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote