SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-02-19, 03:55 PM   #7081
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Mmm, I don't know about that. I think I could point you to a huge number of people who are definitely not enjoying being on benefits, a number of whom have found it so stressful that they've topped themselves.
I'm between contracts again and although it's rather nice for the first three or four weeks it's no fun when it stretches out to three months. I set my day rate to allow for this but the last twelve months have been pretty poor for me in terms of weeks worked verses not and if nothing else boredom can anxiety can creep in to your life in equal measure. Fingers crossed the interview I had yesterday brings good news. I cannot imagine how people on benefits long term cope, especially if they're used to working.
Old 22-02-19, 04:19 PM   #7082
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Mmm, I don't know about that. I think I could point you to a huge number of people who are definitely not enjoying being on benefits, a number of whom have found it so stressful that they've topped themselves.
I've been on the receiving end of benefits myself, yet have been in gainful employment for many years now since.

I could look down this street and find quite a few who haven't worked in 20yrs+ or indeed since they were old enough to work, simply because they don't want to.

Not at all the same people

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 22-02-19 at 04:23 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 04:24 PM   #7083
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I cannot imagine how people on benefits long term cope, especially if they're used to working.
Badly is the answer depending on the benefits. This is my second time on long term sick. On the first I got DLA and was as well off as working. This time I'm on ESA and because I have a pension of more than £72 pounds per week I have been awarded £0.00 per week. As it is my pension doesn't quite cover our bills so our savings are going down month on month. This is a little bitter / sweet, in that had I not worked and saved I would be in a different situation but at least I can manage (without to much tax payers help) and at 65 & 66 other pensions come on line. On the boredom front try advrider.com, start with "from Estonia with love"

Hope the interview pays off
Old 22-02-19, 04:50 PM   #7084
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'm dreading having to go though all the shizz again. in a few weeks i'll have no income now the Mrs B is in care. they wont care that i have bad heart problems and that my legs dont work properly so i'll be forced to look for work.......

to all the youngsters on the forum.. i would advise you to start to think about care when your old and decrepit unless you want to sit there in your own filth.

dont bother buying a house if you plan on passing it down to your kids.. they wont see it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 05:28 PM   #7085
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

oi. If Stephen Hawking can work from a wheel chair, why can't you get a job???? (and me)
Old 22-02-19, 05:33 PM   #7086
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i'm dreading having to go though all the shizz again. in a few weeks i'll have no income now the Mrs B is in care. they wont care that i have bad heart problems and that my legs dont work properly so i'll be forced to look for work.......

to all the youngsters on the forum.. i would advise you to start to think about care when your old and decrepit unless you want to sit there in your own filth.

dont bother buying a house if you plan on passing it down to your kids.. they wont see it.
My brother got made redundant after 50 years working and paying taxes and NI, he was 63 and when he went to see what benefits he could get he was told we can't pay you any benefits because you have assets ! Turns out his assets was the house he has worked hard for 50 years to buy. What makes it worse is that so called asylum seekers ( economic migrants ) with large families get housed ( some in very expensive areas of London) and paid benefits ( extra benefits the more kids they have) without ever having paid a penny into the system.

Makes me think I may go for equity release and get all the money out of the house that I can and waste it and then live in the house rent free till I get put into care and there will only be enough equity left in the house to cover the interest of lifetime mortgage - sounds like a good plan..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 05:57 PM   #7087
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup, the moment you own your property your a target for the local council. council property/land grabbing is rife up here.

they will be changing the law again soon so you will never be able to pass your assets down to your family if you have to be put into care.

whats struck me lately is that i could go to Thailand or somewhere like that and live a very good life with the assets i have instead of looking forward to being put into some **** stinking care home and being treated like cattle.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 06:25 PM   #7088
SV650rules
Mega Poster

You could go to India and live in the Marigold Hotel for £5 a week all inclusive.......

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 22-02-19 at 08:37 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 07:45 AM   #7089
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
yup, the moment you own your property your a target for the local council. council property/land grabbing is rife up here.

they will be changing the law again soon so you will never be able to pass your assets down to your family if you have to be put into care.

whats struck me lately is that i could go to Thailand or somewhere like that and live a very good life with the assets i have instead of looking forward to being put into some **** stinking care home and being treated like cattle.

If we find a cure for malaria, northern Thailand would be a very attractive place to retire to. The Thai language is hard for westerners to learn, but I'm sure I'd get by.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 04:22 PM   #7090
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Quote:
My plan is to sell up and move to Fiji once the kids are independent but before I get to "retirement age", at about 55yrs they'll both be earning I'm guesstimating. There's no malaria there, just a bit of Dengue fever you hear about now and then. English is the first language, the people are lovely and the living is simple. As long as you don't need your luxuries and are happy with a simple but happy existence then it's a great place to go live....

I think F$100K (~£65K) investment will get you residency without issue which is about the price of a nice off the beaten track, within 5 minutes walk from the sea, property in some of the more remote locations which to be honest are better anyway.

I've got it a little easier as I married a citizen of the country, I can go live native style for next to nothing if push comes to shove

You only live once...

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote