SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-02-19, 07:28 AM   #11
Grant66

Default Re: B*ll*cks

Sorry to hear that, hope you're not too sore this morning.

Loads of diesel on the roads around Chester at the moment, it's almost like the council employ people to spread it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-19, 07:32 AM   #12
glang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
This is precisely why I will not buy (or even ride) a bike without ABS.
Dont forget though that you can go down on diesel (or any slippery surface) without even applying the brakes....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-19, 12:22 AM   #13
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Dont forget though that you can go down on diesel (or any slippery surface) without even applying the brakes....
Very true, but ABS has kept me upright while braking on a diesel spill, and once on soaking wet cobbles.
No ABS would have been a certain crash both times.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 03:02 PM   #14
Craig380
Mega Poster

Sorry to moan but the nice weather forecast for this weekend is adding insult to injury
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 03:59 PM   #15
Grant66

I missed most of the summer last year thanks to that tuetonic t**t on the wrong side of the road.

You have my sympathy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 09:14 PM   #16
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I nearly joined you this evening. I was two blades of grass away from being in a ditch. On overly familiar roads heading home as it got (very) dark. Just about pushed hard enough on the right bar to not lose it. Properly full of adrenaline afterwards.. I then found myslef muttering outloud... "f*%&ng idiot" repeatedly for about 2 minutes." Mine was entirely my own fault not staying focused rather than the uncontrolable diesel spills though.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 09:23 PM   #17
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
I missed most of the summer last year thanks to that tuetonic t**t on the wrong side of the road.

You have my sympathy.
Ooof, yes, I remember that. Did the elbow and other injuries heal OK? You went up to an MT-09 after the 7 was written off, yes? Hope you got some use out of it later in the year.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 09:37 PM   #18
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
familiar roads
Probably more dangerous than unfamiliar ones.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 09:38 PM   #19
daktulos

Between Christmas and New Year, the sun was out and I though I'd go for a ride - I got half way from the garage back past my house when I slowed to let a car pass ... the front wheel went sideways. Within sight of my own house.

Cold weather, no rain for weeks and a bit of dew causing a slippery roady. Seriously unimpressed with myself.

Almost two months later, I've still not fixed the bike, and I still have a sore knuckle and ankle from it. Given I was nearly stationary at the time, I can't imagine how much worse it would have been at speed.

P.S. I love the curvy, but the bloody tacho gets destroyed every time.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 09:45 PM   #20
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I nearly joined you this evening. I was two blades of grass away from being in a ditch. On overly familiar roads heading home as it got (very) dark. Just about pushed hard enough on the right bar to not lose it. Properly full of adrenaline afterwards.. I then found myslef muttering outloud... "f*%&ng idiot" repeatedly for about 2 minutes." Mine was entirely my own fault not staying focused rather than the uncontrolable diesel spills though.
Glad you came out alright.I don't think there's anyone on Two wheels who hasn't lost concentration and made a bad decision.In a car you can get away with a lot of mistakes,the same mistake on a Bike and we all know the possible consequences.

Also statistically this time of year has the highest incidence of major and fatal motorcycle injuries.Change of season and road conditions and riders like myself who now,"Winterize".When I do put my Bike back out I am always very wary of the fact I need to re-hone my skills and awareness.

At least twice a month on a clear road with no side roads I do an,"Emergency Braking" test on my Bike.This reconnects with stopping envelope of my Bike and checks that my brakes are 100%.If not I address the issue.

I've posted this video before but it's well worth a watch/re-watch,

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Won't help with Diesel spills but still good.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 22-02-19 at 09:46 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote