SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-09, 11:09 PM   #1
BanditPat

Default Bandit 250 running problems.

Hi, I know its not an SV but at the moment i cant afford an SV so this will just have to do....Out today I had a problem a couple of times with the bike not ticking over or revving properly, mostly its if i drop down to low or when im sitting at a standstill. Its done it before but not as much as today and never in any where as bad as it done it today. What happens is the engine might stall its self when the revs drop down and then when i restart it it refuses to rev up past 2k revs, usually holding the throttle fully open for a few seconds sorts it and it gets revving freely again but today first time in a bus stop waiting for a ate to catch up with us it took about a minute to get it revving again and on hard knot pass it was a case of i had to do a U turn and roll the bike down the hill in gear to try and get it revving again because i knew it couldn't stall doing that and it worked stopped, did the same thing as in the bus stop again but luckily i was at the top so i could only go down from there. When it restarts if i keep the throttle open and let it hit the rev limiter i get some "dirty" smoke coming out for a few seconds then its fine again for a bit, it doesn't look like oily smoke just dirty. It ran flawlessly for the next 80 miles but it was a right pain in the ****. So any ideas on what might be wrong would be appreciated. The bike is a 250 bandit.

If I had the money I would just go buy a new bike but for the moment this is going to have to do..Thanks for any answers.
Old 05-04-09, 11:19 PM   #2
ThEGr33k

Default Re: I know its not an SV but.......

Has the bike been stood for a long period? If so the petrol in the tank and the Carbs might have gone off and jellyfied. If that is the case you'll have to open them up and clean the jets... Sorry for the bad news!
Old 05-04-09, 11:23 PM   #3
BanditPat

Its been used every day for the last erm i cant remember since last January maybe. I was hoping i wasn't going to need to take my carbs off but i have to take the forks off so i suppose i can do it in one big lot. Thanks for the answer =] if any one else knows anything that will save me some work it wont be getting done for a couple of days
Old 05-04-09, 11:27 PM   #4
ThEGr33k

Hmph. You run it low recently? Carbs ballanced? Not much else can cause this kind of problem that I know... Usually a fuel starvation issue.
Old 05-04-09, 11:29 PM   #5
BanditPat

What do you mean run it low? sorry im a bit thick. Erm cabs ballanced, dont know it was an import i'll book it in to get the balanced though see if it makes a difference. I wanna be able to take it out and not worry about it going ape on me lol
Old 05-04-09, 11:30 PM   #6
Holdup

Give the Plugs, Plug caps, HT lead, Coil + Air filter a check also a bit of carb cleaner / fuel adative mite not hurt.
Old 05-04-09, 11:34 PM   #7
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditPat View Post
What do you mean run it low? sorry im a bit thick. Erm cabs ballanced, dont know it was an import i'll book it in to get the balanced though see if it makes a difference. I wanna be able to take it out and not worry about it going ape on me lol

Running low, asin near running out of fuel. If it runs low it might suck **** into the fuel line or carbs. Might be worth checking the fuel lines for any brakes or blockages.

When you say it takes ages to get it reving, does it sound like its bogging down? Asin it will rev then the revs fall off and it kinda coughs. Does putting the choke on help? Try that next time. If it revs up easier its probably that the main jets are blocked up...
Old 05-04-09, 11:36 PM   #8
BanditPat

Doesent sound like its bogging down. sounds just like it would do at tick over but thats withfull throttle and if l et the throttle off it just dies. Trued the choke and it didnt help and it hasnt ran low on fuel since october last year but then it was empty. Its not a new problem, could that be it?
Old 05-04-09, 11:42 PM   #9
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditPat View Post
Doesent sound like its bogging down. sounds just like it would do at tick over but thats withfull throttle and if l et the throttle off it just dies. Trued the choke and it didnt help and it hasnt ran low on fuel since october last year but then it was empty. Its not a new problem, could that be it?
Quite possibly. Try taking all the fuel lines off and get them cleaned through... Blow air though maybe. Maybe try some Red X. Strip the carbs (its pretty simple, take the bottoms off, take the brass jets out clean them with a needle/paper-clip/air. Then put it all back together.

You say it eventually does rev fine? Does temp effect it?

It does just sound like its not getting fuel in it.
Old 05-04-09, 11:44 PM   #10
BanditPat

I havent noticed temperature affecting it. though it does seem better at night time when the airs a bit denser. I'll take the carbs off when i get my fork seals bought it can all be done in one big job. And just to think I only got it back on the road a couple of months ago as well