SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-07-11, 10:49 PM   #1
megs

Red face Newbie Question! Blipping throttle when engine is coldish and cutting out.

As the subject says, when blipping the throttle (a process i've not mastered at all) will sometimes cut the engine out, even when going 40+ when the engine is coldish (upto about 5 mins from turning on, it doesn't do it after 5 minutes).

Is this normal? I have the baffle out if that makes any difference.

Also any advice when blipping the throttle, by the time i've released the clutch the revs have gone back to idleish...

Don't flame me i'm new and they don't teach this on the test

Last edited by megs; 22-07-11 at 01:20 AM.
Old 21-07-11, 10:52 PM   #2
barwel1992

Default Re: Newbie Question! Blipping throttle when engine is coldish and cutting out.

blip as your releasing the clutch you will get it at some point, iv got in to a habit of double bliping no idea why lol :/

sounds like over fueling if its cutting out but if its only doing it when cold i not sure what it could be
Old 22-07-11, 01:07 AM   #3
monkey

Default Re: Newbie Question! Blipping throttle when engine is coldish and cutting out.

Not enough choke perhaps?
Old 22-07-11, 01:14 AM   #4
megs

not sure tbh, i was under the impression its got an automatic choke, is it adjustable? It cuts out as the revs start dropping from the peak revs of the blip, if u know what i mean. It only happens within 5 minutes of ignition and its only happened about 4 times and the bike starts straight away even when rolling.

Last edited by megs; 22-07-11 at 01:16 AM.
Old 22-07-11, 01:16 AM   #5
monkey

What is the idle speed of the motor?
Old 22-07-11, 01:19 AM   #6
megs

I'm not sure, I'l have to check but it will have to be tomorrow. From memory though it is between 1000-2000rpm
Old 22-07-11, 01:25 AM   #7
monkey

He he. Yeah it should be. Try using a little more choke and maybe upping the tickover ever so slightly.

Otherwise wait for somebody else to come along.
Old 22-07-11, 05:20 AM   #8
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If it's a K4 it's injected and won't have a choke. It may be that the fueling just isn't "right" at that precise moment the ECU is adjusting from cold to hot running. Do you Know if it's ever been re-programmed or if there is a Power Commander fitted?
If you leave it idling from cold without riding it (or touching the throttle at all) does it tickover OK for 5-10 minutes or does it die at some point?

Re the blipping thing the whole idea is to get the revs at the correct speed before releasing the clutch, rather defeats the object if they are back at idle. It's just a timing thing, with practice you will find you speed up the clutch in/out bit and it will all start to come together. When you get it right you will find you don't even need to touch the clutch, even on downchanges.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-11, 06:09 AM   #9
johnmaciver32

Mine does that too, (k5) on a blip, even in neutral...only ever happens when I try to ride away right away though..if I leave it to warm up for 5 mins its fine.

sent using tapatalk
Old 22-07-11, 07:52 AM   #10
Bedhead

My K3 does that, just turn the idle up a bit. I have a PC fitted and it made it a bit worse, saying that, your bike should be warm inside 5 minutes, from stone cold mine is at 60 degrees within a mile.