SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 20-05-09, 06:02 PM   #1
Speedy Claire

Lightbulb Ideas for Rideouts Thread

I`m wondering maybe if the mid week rideouts haven`t been too successful due to work commitments etc so following on from another thread I think we should get our heads together and see if we can plan some Sunday rideouts or "Sunday Lunch Rideouts"

Maybe a few folk could come up with a few suggestions for nice routes etc. and one I thought of is Conway for fish n` chips? Mike suggested Matlock Bath.

I`ve been looking at this website but it doesn`t give an indication of how long the rides would be.

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/europ...oadsfinder.php

I was thinking that if we wanted more people to attend it might be a better idea to plan a rideout that would be over by, say, 2pm or 3pm rather than making it the entire day. Possibly something like the rideout below?

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...ury&code=1de84

Again we`d need to decide on frequency and I was thinking of maybe fortnightly then those of us with families etc. could spend time doing the family thing one weekend and (hopefully) be allowed out to play the following weekend Alternatively people might prefer to make them every 3 weeks.... whatever the majority wants we could go with.

I don`t really have a clue on where would be good for a rideout that wouldn`t take the whole day (apart from Wales!) but here is a thread that we can put our ideas down on.

so................................................ ............

I`ve started with Conway for fish n`chips and possibly Warrington to Shrewsbury, Mike has suggested Matlock Bath

Fire away the rest of you
Old 20-05-09, 06:25 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Ideas for Rideouts Thread

As Mike said, there's a lot of rides that we do in N. Wales.

So instead, perhaps the odd run up Cat 'n' Fiddle, Bassett's Pole, etc? It means stepping over "no man's land" into foreign territory, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind if we invited them too.

Obviously as the aforementionned places are regular bike haunts, there's a possibility of increased police presence too.

As for the frequency, because of work/family stuff, I'll probably miss the majority of them anyway (like I do the weekly meets).

Conwy for F&C though, should be do-able pretty easily (I'm assuming you mean the place at the top of town, near the old castle gates, not the one at the bottom by the marina?). Perhaps a steady bimble over Sychnant Pass whilst everyone's in that area?
Old 20-05-09, 06:47 PM   #3
skeetly

I'm on the lookout for a ride out at the mo but it has to be said its tough finding the time
A ride i quite like is this one:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...16565&t=h&z=16

Ok its short but i get to come back in time to mow lawns
skeetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-09, 07:42 PM   #4
Speedy Claire

So we`ve got Crewe for a brew

Whatabout Ribble for a nibble?

I`m liking this rhyming theme
Old 20-05-09, 07:55 PM   #5
skeetly

Oops I might have to go look at bricks in cannock sunday
Old 20-05-09, 08:05 PM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetly View Post
Oops I might have to go look at bricks in cannock sunday
OOO, there's a very good ride heading down that way. And I do mean very good.

It's one of my new favourite runs.

Tern Hill (Stormy Petrel) on the A41 heading South-ish. Heading to Cannock it'd be a detour, but well worth it. In Meretown turn left onto the A519, then at Woodseaves turn right onto B5405. T-junction turn right then you could pick up the M6 & get back to Cannock.

Stormy Petrel to M6 in 20mins (pushing pretty hard). Very entertaining, and highly recommended.

There's a couple of decent pubs in Cannock too, so this post doubles as advice you you skeetly (if you're able to use the bike on Sunday) and an idea for another run on a weekend.
Old 20-05-09, 09:08 PM   #7
skeetly

Wel just been chatting with the missus so I might end up going Saturday.
Eldest is having an extension done near nantwich so the route will be up there to check on sneaky cheshire builders and down to cannock (well its just north of rugeley to be precise) after. Then back the same way to grab lunch at eldests
I guess i could double back to whitchurch and head down the a41...
That means the rest of the weekend involves lots of concrete at home as me ancient retaining wall has decided to let go in the nether regions
Still might get a barbie and beer in somewhere

Anyone up for a rideout to a brick salvage yard?...No?....Oh well..
Old 20-05-09, 10:21 PM   #8
DaveP

being honest i like the a49 and intend to one morning get on it in warrington and head south.... hopefully all the way down... then eat.... and ride it all the way back...

Many may find parts of it a tad boring buts its generally a fast road with nice sweeping bends...... and that i enjoy without having to try too hard.

dave
Old 22-05-09, 09:54 PM   #9
-Ralph-

Just a thought, if you did head over this way (Matlock, etc) you'd have twice the number of folk that may turn up
Old 23-05-09, 10:16 PM   #10
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Just a thought, if you did head over this way (Matlock, etc) you'd have twice the number of folk that may turn up
There is a ride to Buxton tomorrow mate!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote