SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-11-06, 02:47 PM   #1
keithd

Default oh dear oh dear oh dear

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/6126476.stm

rolly eyes smiley....
Old 10-11-06, 02:56 PM   #2
Jabba

S.79 Environmental Protection Act 1990 as it relates to Statutory Smell Nuisance.

Local authorities are obliged to investigate all complaints received and take action if it odours interfere with another persons use or enjoyment of their premises. The owner will have a defence if he can show that he is using best practical means to control the odours, i.e. install and maintain his extraction system.

Seems reasonable to me. Why should a fish and chip shop be treated differently to any other takeaway or restaurant?

Another non-story from the BBC. Would they have run the story if the complaint was about a curry house? Seems to me that they should have researched their story before running it as this is very routine work for local authorities.
Old 10-11-06, 03:00 PM   #3
linco

I'm sorry but the person who complained is just an idiot. Of course its gonna smell like fish and chips.
Old 10-11-06, 03:11 PM   #4
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by linco
I'm sorry but the person who complained is just an idiot. Of course its gonna smell like fish and chips.
That's rubbish IMHO
Of course that's what the smell is - but the complaint is that it smells enough for someone to complain.

As Jabba said if it's kept clean enough you shouldn't smell it from outside.

It's like a fishmongers shouldn't smell of fish - because that smell is rotting fish, which they shouldn't be selling.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-06, 03:27 PM   #5
DanDare

So how do you explain the smell of crap when driving by a farm???????????
Old 10-11-06, 03:28 PM   #6
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by linco
I'm sorry but the person who complained is just an idiot.
You might not think like that if you lived near to, or directly above, one and the extraction system wasn't being maintained or had broken.

Bit strong to call someone an idiot for standing up for their rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
As Jabba said if it's kept clean enough you shouldn't smell it from outside.
In an ideal world, yes but the bottom line is that a well-maintained extraction system with new carbon filters will 75-85% efficient at best. There will always be some residual odour emitted, and more as time goes by. Generally, this is dispersed to atmosphere at high level through a vertical flue but under adverse weather conditions this can come to ground close to the premises before its dispersed.

It is this residual odour that causes the problems, especially with spicy foods like currys, etc, and why we get way more complaints about odours from curry houses than fish & chip shops. Probably in the ratio of about 100:1.

We routinely object to planning applications for hot food premises where there is residential accommodation nearby because we cannot guarantee that there will not be a problem for residents.

I can understand why someone would complain if things weren't as they should be. I'm in Court next week prosecuting a pub landlord because he is being recalcitrant about dealing with a problem he's causing. The main complaint relates to fish & chip odour at lunchtimes.
Old 10-11-06, 03:33 PM   #7
hovis

you didnt get complaints like this 10 years ago....(did you?)

i quite like the smell of fish & chips(up north)
Old 10-11-06, 03:34 PM   #8
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare
So how do you explain the smell of crap when driving by a farm???????????
That would be because there's usually some crap around a farm and because crap smells
Old 10-11-06, 03:38 PM   #9
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovi5
Yes, but like I said, they are comparatively rare. It is true that they don't attract the same level of complaint as say a curry house, but complaints are received.

There may be reasons other than the lack of odour which could explain why people don't complaint about 'em, of course. But that is a different matter and one that I will not be drawn into on a public forum.

Quote:
i quite like the smell of fish & chips(up north)
So do I, but I wouldn't like to live near any restaurant or takeaway.
Old 10-11-06, 03:43 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Yep, all the time.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote