SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 21-09-06, 06:35 AM   #11
hovis

my freind went to a bikesafe day, but the instructor would not take him out....due to his small no. plate & race can
not a prob for me.............yet! !
Old 21-09-06, 07:39 AM   #12
Mogs

If you want advance training then I recommend "Skills for Life" package from the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM)

Your local club is South Wales Advanced Motorcyclists (SWAM) which both CeriJC and I are associate members (£80). Jabba is still thinking about it and has been for the last two years.

alternatively you can try bikesafe from South Wales Police. (also £80)

It's normally run by PC Nigel (Yosser) Hughes?, he'll look at your bike but won't stop you riding unless there is a real danger.

I've done both, I think the better value is IAM, but if you don't have much free time Bikesafe is the one.
Old 21-09-06, 09:06 AM   #13
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs
It's normally run by PC Nigel (Yosser) Hughes?
Yep - "call me Yosser coz Nigel's a poof's name". He's the guy who trains the S Wales Police MotoPlod. The best of the best in these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs
he'll look at your bike but won't stop you riding unless there is a real danger.
He will stop you taking part if your plate is stupidly small, taking the **** and designed to pervert the course of justice. Slightly small and he might have a quiet word with you. And he's the sort of bloke that you will listen to

I got the impression that loud cans weren't an issue.

In the main, the bike checks are safety-related; they don't want the agro of someone coming off due to a foreseeable mechanical failure during the course.